Skip to main content

Office of the President records on campus facilities, 1929-1937

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1089 Series 4

Scope and Contents

Contains materials related to campus facilites at Brigham Young University from 1929-1934. Buildings that are mentioned include the building of the Brimhall Building, the Heber J. Grant Building, the Stadium House, and associated ticket sales and the development of the Aspen Grove complex that is located in Provo Canyon. Also addressed are details such as fire houses, building flooring, and laundry services for the campus facilities. The records for the buildings built during Harris' time as president include the contractors bills, materials costs, furnishment costs, and how the money was raised, usually by drives by alumni and local businesses.

Dates

  • 1929-1937

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 100 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Brigham Young University President's Records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Biographical History

From the Collection: Franklin Stewart Harris (1884-1960) was President of Brigham Young University from 1921 to 1945. During that time he helped the university grow both physically, with adding new buildings and also intellectually by hiring more teachers and establishing international connections for the University.

Franklin Stewart Harris was born August 29, 1884 in Benjamin, Utah. He moved with his family to the state of Chihuahua, Mexico in the 1890s to the Mormon colonies there. He would study at Brigham Young University and go on to Cornell to receive his doctorate. Harris served as president of Brigham Young University from 1921 until 1945. His administration was characterized by improvement in academics and by growth of the University's physical facilities, such as the construction of the Heber J. Grant Library building. Even with the financial pressures of the Great Depression from the late 1920s to the 1930s, Harris was able to help increase Brigham Young University attendance, library and campus facilities.

In 1945 Harris left Brigham Young University to be the president of the Utah State Agricultural College (what is now Utah State University). He died April 18, 1960 in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Extent

5 boxes

Language

English

Arrangement

Retained in original order.

Other Finding Aids

Finding aid available in the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Reference area.

Other Finding Aids

Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1089.xml

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States