Skip to main content

Physical Plant Department chronological correspondence, 1947-1976

 Sub-Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1330 Series 2 Sub-Series 1

Scope and Contents

Contains correspondence from the Physical Plant Department, including inter-campus mail, inter-office mail, date files, morning reports, weekly progress reports, and memos. Included are Sam Brewster's director files of chronological correspondence, 1947-1976.

Dates

  • 1947-1976

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Physical Plant Department records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The Department of Buildings and Grounds (1947-1954) coordinated the maintenance of Brigham Young University campus buildings and grounds.

The Department of Buildings and Grounds was established in 1947 under superintendent Leland M. Perry and became the Physical Plant Department in 1954. Various supervisors reported to the superintendence who reported to a vice president of the University.

The department was responsible for the following: installations, alterations, and maintenance of the campus communications systems, such as telephones, fire alarms, and the distribution of campus mail; custodial work in all campus buildings; landscaping, care, and maintenance of all grounds, vacant lots, and other property owned by the University, including parking and campus police; maintenance, operation, alterations, and repair of all plumbing, heating, ventilating, and electrical systems on University property; mechanical shops operated by the University; carpenter shop and mill operated by the University (this did not include academic shops); maintenance, repair, alterations, and up-keep of all University-owned buildings; all new construction on University-owned property; a central warehouse and receiving department for the University; engineering, design, and survey or inspection work pertaining to maintenance of new construction; perpetual inventory of all furniture and equipment of the University; custody, maintenance, and repair of all automotive and other mechanical equipment of the University; central key register and control for the entire University; management and operation of Wymount Village.

In 1954 the Department of Buildings and Grounds was renamed the Physical Plant Department.

Administrative History

The Physical Plant Department (1954- ) functions to coordinate the building and grounds maintenance of Brigham Young University.

The Physical Plant Department, previously the Department of Buildings and Grounds, was established in 1954. The Physical Plant functions under the Physical Facilities Division and is responsible for maintaining university utilities, overseeing engineering and construction, maintaining the grounds, maintaining the buildings (including custodial services), overseeing transportation services, and administering to campus projects. Directors of the department have included Leland M. Perry (1954-1957), Sam F. Brewster (1957-1974), Fred A. Schwendiman (1974), Harold J. Anderson (1979-1986), Douglas Christensen (1986-1990), and Scott Briggs (1990- ).

Biographical History

Sam F. Brewster (1904-1996) was the director of campus planning and development at Brigham Young University.

Sam Finley Brewster was born on November 17, 1904, in Texas. He recieved a bachelor of science degree in landscape architecture at Texas A&M college and an MLA degree in landscape architecture in 1932 at Massachusetts University.

Brewster was superintendent of buildings and grounds and director of campus planning and development at Alabama Polytechnic Institute at Auburn, Alabama. In 1957 Brigham Young Universities director of campus planning and developement resigned. Ernest L. Wilkinson, President of BYU, went on a search for a new director. He discovered Brewster and asked him to take the position. Brewster was the director of physical plant operations at BYU from 1957 to 1974.

Extent

5 cartons

Language

English