Skip to main content

College of Fine Arts and Communications building records, 1938-1965

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1056 Series 2

Scope and Contents

Contains building records including annual catalogues, recital records and recital programs, blueprints and diagrams, correspondence, furnishing and equipment records, theatre and stages records, and photographs. Also included is information regarding the Harris Fine Arts Center (HFAC), namely its dedications and description, names, blueprints, correspondence, furnishing, telephones, radio, and television. Materials date from between 1938 and 1965.

Dates

  • 1938-1965

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from College of Fine Arts and Communications Deans' Office records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

From the Collection: The Brigham Young University College of Fine Arts (1925-1963) was an academic administrative unit.

The College of Fine Arts was established in 1925 when the College of Arts and Sciences transferred over some of its departments to create a separate college. It continued in operation under its name until it was established as the College of Fine Arts and Communications in 1963. College deans included: Gerrit de Jong, Jr. (1925-1959), John R. Halliday (acting dean, 1947), and Conan E. Mathews (1959-1963).

Administrative History

From the Collection: The Brigham Young University College of Fine Arts and Communication (established 1963) is an academic administrative unit.

In 1963 the College of Fine Arts became the College of Fine Arts and Communications. The college administers academic departments in the areas of arts, theater, dance, music, journalism, and broadcasting. The college also has responsibility for BYU Broadcasting, the Museum of Art, NewsNet, and the School of Music. College deans have included: Conan E. Mathews (1963-1966), Clawson Cannon (1967), Lorin F. Wheelwright (1967-1973), Lael J. Woodbury (1973-1982), James A. Mason (1982-1993), Bruce L. Christensen (1993-2000), K. Newell Dayley (2000-2003), and Stephen M. Jones (2003- ).

Extent

4 folders

4 boxes

Language

English