Skip to main content

Salt Lake Center records, 1944-1945, 1959-1970

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 547 Series 17

Scope and Contents note

Materials contain administrative files, including correspondence and memos, meeting minutes, reports, financial information, course materials, policies and procedures, and other records. Dated from 1944 to 1945 and 1959 to 1970.

Dates

  • 1944-1945
  • Other: 1959-1970

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.

Permission to publish material from the Division of Continuing Education records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The BYU Salt Lake Center (1966-) was created as the third BYU continuing education center.

The BYU Salt Lake Center was formerly known as BYU Salt Lake Adult Education Center. It was renamed in 1966 as the BYU Salt Lake Center. Its program follows the pattern established in other centers. . Courses and programs are offered in religion, genealogy, speech, history, recreation, writing, arts, education, and other fields. Those who served as chairmen of the center were: Keith L. Smith (1966-1972), Bruce M. Lake (1972-1973), R. Jan Thurston (1973-1982), Orson B. Roper (chairman 1982-1988; director 1988-1998), Lee J. Glines (director 1998-).

Administrative History

Brigham Young University Salt Lake Adult Education Center (1959-1966) was opened as the third BYU continuing education center.

On January 1, 1959, the building formerly occupied by the McCune School of Music and Art was opened as the third BYU continuing education center. The Brigham Young University Salt Lake Adult Education Center was renamed in 1966 as BYU Salt Lake Center. Courses and programs were offered in religion, genealogy, speech, history, recreation, writing, arts, education, and other fields. Lynn M. Hilton served as the only chairman of the Center.

Extent

4 boxes

Language

English