Skip to main content

Special Courses and Conferences Department chairman records, 1970-1977

 Sub-Series — Box: P 6
Identifier: UA 547 Series 15 Sub-Series 3

Scope and Contents note

Materials contain administrative files, including correspondence and memos, meeting minutes, statistics, projections, and other records from when Phillip Harris was the chairman of the department. Dated from 1970 to 1977.

Dates

  • 1970-1977

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.

Permission to publish material from the Division of Continuing Education records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.

Biographical History

From the Series: Phillip Harris (1936-) was a chairman of the Department of Conferences and Workshops at Brigham Young University.

Phillip Harris was born in 1936 in Utah to Orville K and Ruby N Harris. He recieved his Bachelor's and Mater's degrees in Education at Brigham Young University. He completed a doctorate at the University of Southern California. From 1973 to 1979 he was the Chairman of the Department of Conferences and Workshops at Brigham Young University. He also served as the founding director of the BYU Conference Center. He also served for ten years as the director of the Elderhostel program throughout the State of Utah. He worked at BYU for eighteen years. He took early retirement from BYU in 1991.

Administrative History

From the Series: The Department of Special Courses and Conferences (1966-1979) was an administrative and teaching unit at Brigham Young University.

The department was established in 1966 as part of the university's Division of Continuing Education, and was charged with providing courses and programs for on-campus and distance students, as well as the general public. Department chairmen included Thomas A. James (1966-1970), Sterling R. Church (1972-1973), and Phillip D. Harris (1973-1979). In 1979 the department was reorganized as the Department of Conferences and Workshops.

Extent

1 box

Language

English