Smith, Azariah, 1826-1912
- Existence: 1826 - 1912
Azariah Smith (1826-1912) was a pioneer in Manti, Utah. He served in the Mormon Battalion between 1846 and 1848.
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Handwritten fragment of an autobiography. The pages are numbered from 10 to 17. The item is believed to have been written when Smith was over 84 years old. Smith writes about his early settlement in Manti, Utah, and his subsequent life there.
Two handwritten accounts written by an unidentified grandchild of Albert Smith. The first story concerns an acquaintance of the family who, while traveling east from California in 1852, rescued his wagon train's horses from the Indians. The second account concerns Albert Smith and Azariah Smith, their journey with the Mormon Battalion to California, their return to Utah, and their settlement of Manti, Utah.
Photocopy of a microfilm copy of a handwritten autobiography and diary. Smith was born in New York in 1828 and joined the Mormon Church in 1839. He moved to Nauvoo, Illinois, in 1840. He kept a diary during his service with the "Mormon Battalion" during the War with Mexico from 1846 to 1848. Smith married in 1850 and moved to Sanpete Valley in 1850. He lived in Manti, Utah, and wrote about his activities and experiences there.
Photocopy of a handwritten diary. Smith writes of his early life until he started his diary in 1846. He tells about his experiences in the Mormon Battalion and the discovery of gold in California in 1848. Smith also writes about his coming to Utah and his life in Manti, Utah. He also relates incidents in the Black Hawk War when the whites fought the Ute Indians. There are many gaps.
- Manti (Utah) -- History 3
- Autobiographies 2
- Immigration and American Expansion 2
- Material Types 2
- Military 2
- Politics, Government, and Law 2
- Black Hawk War (Utah), 1865-1872 1
- California -- Gold discoveries 1
- Diaries 1
- Indians of North America 1
- Manti (Utah) 1
- Mexican War, 1846-1848 -- Personal narratives, American 1
- Mormon pioneers -- History 1
- Mormon pioneers -- Utah -- Manti 1
- Mormons -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History 1
- Mormons -- Utah -- Manti 1
- Mormons -- Utah -- Manti -- History 1
- Nauvoo (Ill.) -- History 1
- Overland Journeys to the Western United States 1
- Overland journeys to the Pacific 1
- Pioneers 1
- Ute Indians -- Wars 1
- West (U.S.) -- Description and travel 1 ∧ less