Beam, George L. (George Lytle), 1868-1935
- Existence: 1868 - 1935
Citation:George L. Beam and the Denver & Rio Grande, 1986: p. 12 (b. May 18, 1868 in New Paris, Ohio; moved to Lawrence Kansas; mother and siblings passed away; stamps dealer; moved to Denver, Colorado around 1890) p. 13 (worked for the Chain Hardy & Co. as a stenographer; stenographer for the Chief Storekeeper and Purchasing Agent of the Denver & Rio Grande until 1893; secretary to Shadrach K. Hooper in 1894; skilled at photography) p. 14 (Rio Grande company photographer; photographed President Theodore Roosevelt in the Royal Gorge, 1905) p. 15 (married Fay L. Kuellmer June 7, 1930 in Colorado Springs, Colo.; d. March 16, 1935 in Denver, Colo.; buried in Lawrence, Kan.)
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Collection includes twenty-eight photographs of trains and railroads from the 1920s to the 1970s. Some photographs include images of early Utah towns. Many of the early photographs were taken by George L. Beam, while the later items were taken by James L. Ozment.
Handwritten and signed letter, addressed to George L. Beam, and dated 17 Sept. 1923. Also included is the envelope in which the missive was sent, a handwritten poem titled "Recompense," and a magazine clipping of the item in print dated February 1914. In the letter Benjamin informs Beam that he has paid most of his bill, but more funds are due.
Pen-and-ink drawings bound in a small booklet. The item is signed by J. Harry Carson. At the top of the first page it states, "July 9/18," and at the bottom of the page, "About 1890." Also included is a letter stating that only six copies of an unspecified item has been printed. Each item is addressed to George L. Beam.
Materials include one framed black and white photograph of a Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad train driving down the track in a gorge. Dated 1912.
- Collection 4
- Archival Object 2
- Photographs 4
- Images 2
- Letters 2
- Material Types 2
- Railroads -- Colorado -- Photographs 2
- American poetry -- 20th century 1
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Correspondence 1
- Bridges -- Colorado -- Photographs 1
- Business, Industry, Labor, and Commerce 1
- Drawings 1
- Engravers -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Envelopes (Stationery) 1
- Historians -- United States -- Correspondence 1
- Immigration and American Expansion 1
- Overland Journeys to the Western United States 1
- Pen drawing 1
- Printers -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Railroad trains -- Photographs 1
- Railroads 1
- Railroads -- Utah -- Photographs 1
- Railroads -- Wyoming -- Photographs 1
- Royal Gorge (Colo.) -- Photographs 1
- Transportation -- Colorado -- Photographs 1 + ∧ less