Skip to main content

LDS Motion Picture Studio

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1990-

Administrative History

LDS Motion Picture Studios (1953) is a motion picture production studio in Provo, Utah, owned and operated by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The company was founded in 1953 as the BYU Motion Picture Studios, but later separated from the University and in 1991 became LDS Motion Picture Studios, a directly operated function of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The studios produce films for missionary work, educational purposes, home and family use, and other church-related purposes.

Citation

Video and audio tapes held by the BYU Archives, 1949- (name not given)

Phone call to the Studio, 5/7/97 (management of the Studio transferred to the LDS Church in 1990; official name changed to LDS Motion Picture Studio)

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Peter G. Czerny collection

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 8663
Scope and Contents Contains 16 and 35mm release prints and answer prints of and relating to the LDS Motion Picture Studios (and the BYU Motion Picture Studios) from approximately 1930-1985. The films were created for educational, missionary-related, and other purposes. They describe the cultural and religious history of the Mormon faith in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Dates: approximately 1930-1985