Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Annual General Conference
General Conferences for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are semiannual meetings for the entire church membership that have been held since 1830.
A General Conference was first held in 1830, with about thirty members attending. Until 1838, the prophet Joseph Smith would call conferences as needed. Beginning in 1838, conferences were held regularly in April and October. Today, Conferences are held on the first weekend in April and October. The leaders of the LDS Church instruct members in six two-hour sessions that are viewed by people in 197 countries in 94 languages.
Citation:LDS.org, via WWW, Oct. 17, 2014 (About General Conference; first weekend in April and October; two-hour sessions; viewed in 197 countries; translated into 94 languages) Encyclopedia of Mormonism, via WWW, Oct. 17, 2014 (Conferences: General Conference; began in 1830; called as needed; regularized in 1838)
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
J Malan Heslop photographs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the United States, 1950-1999
Includes 12,392 photographs and slides taken while Heslop was employed at the Deseret News newspaper in Salt Lake City, Utah, from 1950 to 1989, and during retirement from 1989 to 1999. Materials include many photographs of events, places, and people pertaining to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, including general conference, Temple Square, temples in Utah, and presidents of the Church.
Contains audio recordings of talks from General Conferences of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Dated 1942 to 1982.
Collection of phonographs of various sources and sizes. Includes children's educational music, radio programs, sound effects, film scores composed by Max Steiner, General Conference talks, Mormon Tabernacle Choir recordings, theater productions and church radio dramas. Also included are recordings from various genres including Christmas, orchestral, opera, choral, dance, and folk. Collection consists of approximately 700 phonographs.