Mormon Tabernacle Choir
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir (1852-) is a religious choral group based in Salt Lake City, Utah.
At the dedication of the adobe tabernacle in 1852, the Mormon choral group which frequently sang at General Conferences of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, adopted the name of their new home and became the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. The nucleus of this choir came from a group of eighty-five Welsh converts under the direction of John Parry, who came to the Salt Lake Valley in 1849. The choir continued to perform at ecclesiastical and civic functions throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, including several national and international tours. In 1929, the choir began airing a weekly radio broadcast, which continues today as Music and the Spoken Word. The choir is currently led by music director Mack Wilberg (2008-). Previous directors included John Parry (1852-1854), Stephen Goddard (1854-1856), James Smithies (1856-1862), Chalres John Thomas (1862-1865), Robert Sands (1865-1869), George Careless (1869-1880), Ebenezer Beesley (1880-1889), Evan Stephens (1890-1916), Anthony C. Lund (1916-1935), J. Spencer Cornwall (1835-1957), Richard P. Condie (1957-1974), Jay E. Welch (1974), Jerold Ottley (1974-1999), and Craig Jessop (1999-2008).
Citation:America's Choir, 2004: p.19 (named after the old tabernacle in 1852)
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir, 1979: p.84 (first radio broadcast in 1929)
Utah History Encyclopedia, February 1, 2012: Mormon Tabernacle Choir (originated from John Parry's 1849 Welsh converts; notable performances at ecclesiastical and civic events)
Wikipedia, February 1, 2012: List of Mormon Tabernacle Choir music directors (names and dates of the choir's music directors)
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Contains miscellaneous material related to Durham. Includes a copy of the book "Worship and Music In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint," a book with programs given by the Utah Symphony, three pamphlets of questions on the Utah Symphony Orchestra, programs from other performances, flyers, and magazines. Also includes audiocassettes from class lectures and tapes of "Abravanel Hour," as well as one floppy disk. Materials date from between 1934 and 1994.