Mormon Tabernacle Choir
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir (1852-) is a religious choral group based in Salt Lake City, Utah.
At the dedication of the adobe tabernacle in 1852, the Mormon choral group which frequently sang at General Conferences of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, adopted the name of their new home and became the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. The nucleus of this choir came from a group of eighty-five Welsh converts under the direction of John Parry, who came to the Salt Lake Valley in 1849. The choir continued to perform at ecclesiastical and civic functions throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, including several national and international tours. In 1929, the choir began airing a weekly radio broadcast, which continues today as Music and the Spoken Word. The choir is currently led by music director Mack Wilberg (2008-). Previous directors included John Parry (1852-1854), Stephen Goddard (1854-1856), James Smithies (1856-1862), Chalres John Thomas (1862-1865), Robert Sands (1865-1869), George Careless (1869-1880), Ebenezer Beesley (1880-1889), Evan Stephens (1890-1916), Anthony C. Lund (1916-1935), J. Spencer Cornwall (1835-1957), Richard P. Condie (1957-1974), Jay E. Welch (1974), Jerold Ottley (1974-1999), and Craig Jessop (1999-2008).
Citation:America's Choir, 2004: p.19 (named after the old tabernacle in 1852)
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir, 1979: p.84 (first radio broadcast in 1929)
Utah History Encyclopedia, February 1, 2012: Mormon Tabernacle Choir (originated from John Parry's 1849 Welsh converts; notable performances at ecclesiastical and civic events)
Wikipedia, February 1, 2012: List of Mormon Tabernacle Choir music directors (names and dates of the choir's music directors)