Skip to main content

Brigham Young University. Motion Picture Studio

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1953-1990

Administrative History

The Motion Picture Studio (1953-1990) was a support unit at Brigham Young University. It produced documentary, historical, and training films for use of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and in schools.

Within the Motion Picture Production was the Film Development Advisory Committee. That committee's functions were to review and select subjects for motion pictures, to review motion picture proposals to consider whether they should be approved for production, to review motion picture scripts and make recommendations for changes if necessary, to review marketing studies made on proposed motion pictures, to review budgets for proposed motion pictures, and to evaluate the overall marketing and advertising programs for educational motion pictures.

Originally the Motion Picture Studio reported directly to the president of the university. In 1959, the director of the Motion Picture Studio began reporting to the director of Auxiliary Services. In 1960, Auxiliary Services became the Vice-President of Auxiliary Services. The director of the Motion Picture Studio reported to this Vice-President until 1965 when the Division of Communications was created. Thereafter the director reported to the director of Communication Services, the Instructional Services Division, and the Division of Instructional Production Services.

In 1991 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints moved the studio from Brigham Young University supervision to the Church. Directors of the Motion Picture Studio included Wetzel O. Whitaker (1953-1974), Jesse E. Stay (1974-1983), and Peter N. Johnson (1983-1990).

Citation

The Miracle of birth [VR] c1987: credit frame (Brigham Young University, Motion Picture Studio)

Phone call to the Studio, 5/7/97 (management of the Studio transferred to the LDS Church in 1990; official name changed to LDS Motion Picture Studio)

Ensign, Nov. 1987: p. 101 (BYU Motion Picture Studio)

BYU Organizational History Project, via WWW, Apr. 15, 2013 (BYU Motion Picture Production; BYU Motion Picture Studio; est. 1953; produced documentary, historical and training films for the LDS church and schools; included a Film Development Advisory committee, responsible for review and selection of subjects for films, approved productions, reviewed scripts and made recommendations for changes, reviewed marketing studies and budgets and evaluated marketing and advertising; studio originally reported to the university president; 1959, reported to the Auxiliary Services; reported to vice president until 1965 when the Division of Communications was created; then reported to director of Communication Services/Instructional Services Division/Division of Instructional Production Services; in 1991 the LDS church took over the studio; directors of the studio included Wetzel O. Whitaker (1953-1974), Jesse E. Stay (1974-1983), and Peter N. Johnson (1983-1991))

Found in 85 Collections and/or Records:

Uncle Ben / Brigham Young University ; producer-director, David K. Jacobs ; screenplay, David K. Jacobs, 1978-1979

 Sub-Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 5625 Series 2 Sub-Series 4
Scope and Contents Film was released in 1978 and was produced by Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department. It tells the story of a drunkard who changes his life in order to take care of his neice and nephews after the death of their mother. The collection has two copies of the film, one on videocassete and the other on a film reel. Dated 1978-1979.
Dates: 1978-1979

University Communications files on the Media Production Studio and LDS Motion Picture Studio, 1959-1994

 Sub-Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 5395 Series 4 Sub-Series 34
Scope and Contents Contains photographs, newspaper clippings, press releases, and lists regarding the Media Production Studio and the LDS Motion Picture studio owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1972 to 1994. Materials contain photographs of movies and productions produced by these studios.
Dates: 1959-1994

Welfare : another perspective / [Brigham Young University] ; [director, David K. Jacobs], approximately 1974

 Sub-Series — Box: 1, disk: 25
Identifier: UA 5625 Series 3 Sub-Series 12
Scope and Contents Film was released around 1974, and was produced by Brigham Young University Motion Picture Studio for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It focuses on the mission of the Church from a perspective outside the LDS faith. The collection has a DVD copy of the film on a film reel. Dated circa 1974.
Dates: approximately 1974

Scott Whitaker papers

 Collection — Carton: 1
Identifier: MSS 2278
Abstract This collection contains the papers and journals of Scott M. Whitaker, including ten journals covering 1966 to 1975, photographs, cartoons, and biographical information.
Dates: 1966-1976

Windows of heaven / Brigham Young University ; produced and directed by Wetzel O. Whitaker ; screenplay, Richard Neil Evans and Scott Whitaker, 1962-1963

 Sub-Series — Box: 1, disk: 27
Identifier: UA 5625 Series 3 Sub-Series 14
Scope and Contents Film was released in 1963, and was produced by Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The story depicts events surrounding a drought in St. George and Church President Lorenzo Snow's counsel to pay tithing and that it would rain. The collection has one copy on a film reel. This copy is an uncut version of the film that is longer than the version currently used by the Church. Dated 1962-1963.
Dates: 1962-1963