Skip to main content

Brigham Young University. Motion Picture Studio

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1953-1990

Administrative History

The Motion Picture Studio (1953-1990) was a support unit at Brigham Young University. It produced documentary, historical, and training films for use of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and in schools.

Within the Motion Picture Production was the Film Development Advisory Committee. That committee's functions were to review and select subjects for motion pictures, to review motion picture proposals to consider whether they should be approved for production, to review motion picture scripts and make recommendations for changes if necessary, to review marketing studies made on proposed motion pictures, to review budgets for proposed motion pictures, and to evaluate the overall marketing and advertising programs for educational motion pictures.

Originally the Motion Picture Studio reported directly to the president of the university. In 1959, the director of the Motion Picture Studio began reporting to the director of Auxiliary Services. In 1960, Auxiliary Services became the Vice-President of Auxiliary Services. The director of the Motion Picture Studio reported to this Vice-President until 1965 when the Division of Communications was created. Thereafter the director reported to the director of Communication Services, the Instructional Services Division, and the Division of Instructional Production Services.

In 1991 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints moved the studio from Brigham Young University supervision to the Church. Directors of the Motion Picture Studio included Wetzel O. Whitaker (1953-1974), Jesse E. Stay (1974-1983), and Peter N. Johnson (1983-1990).

Citation

The Miracle of birth [VR] c1987: credit frame (Brigham Young University, Motion Picture Studio)

Phone call to the Studio, 5/7/97 (management of the Studio transferred to the LDS Church in 1990; official name changed to LDS Motion Picture Studio)

Ensign, Nov. 1987: p. 101 (BYU Motion Picture Studio)

BYU Organizational History Project, via WWW, Apr. 15, 2013 (BYU Motion Picture Production; BYU Motion Picture Studio; est. 1953; produced documentary, historical and training films for the LDS church and schools; included a Film Development Advisory committee, responsible for review and selection of subjects for films, approved productions, reviewed scripts and made recommendations for changes, reviewed marketing studies and budgets and evaluated marketing and advertising; studio originally reported to the university president; 1959, reported to the Auxiliary Services; reported to vice president until 1965 when the Division of Communications was created; then reported to director of Communication Services/Instructional Services Division/Division of Instructional Production Services; in 1991 the LDS church took over the studio; directors of the studio included Wetzel O. Whitaker (1953-1974), Jesse E. Stay (1974-1983), and Peter N. Johnson (1983-1991))

Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:

David Kent Jacobs materials on Ministering through Home Teaching, 1983

 Sub-Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 5625 Series 1 Sub-Series 4
Scope and Contents Contains the script, as well as a pamphlet designed by Church officials that highlights principles from the video that could be discussed in church meetings. Also includes a videocassette entitled Home Teaching Segments. Film was released in 1988, and was produced by the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Dated 1983.
Dates: 1983

Ministering through home teaching : concentrating home teaching efforts where they are needed most , 1988

 Sub-Series — Reel: 38
Identifier: UA 5625 Series 2 Sub-Series 25
Scope and Contents Film was released in 1988, and was produced by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for helping increase the effectiveness of the home teaching program. The collection contains one print. Dated 1988.
Dates: 1988

Restoration of the Priesthood / [The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints] ; [producer, Jesse E. Stay] ; [director, Peter Johnson], 1982

 Sub-Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 5625 Series 2 Sub-Series 7
Scope and Contents Film was released in 1982, and was produced by Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department for the the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It depicts the events surrounding the early days of the Church and Joseph Smith concerning the restoration of the priesthood through heavenly messengers. The film was largely shot on location of the actual events in New York and Pennsylvania. The collection contains three copies on film reels, and a "Moments from Church History" VHS...
Dates: 1982

The search for truth / a Brigham Young University production ; produced and directed by Wetzel O. Whitaker ; written by Scott Whitaker and Richard Neil Evans, 1961

 Sub-Series — Reel: 26
Identifier: UA 5625 Series 2 Sub-Series 13
Scope and Contents Film was released in 1962, and was produced by Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department. It depicts the relationship between science and religion. It focuses on the story of Henry Eyring (father of President Henry B. Eyring) and his role as member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and as a scientist. The film's purpose was to show the compatibility of religion and science. The collection has one copy on a film reel. Dated 1961.
Dates: 1961

University Communications files on the Media Production Studio and LDS Motion Picture Studio, 1959-1994

 Sub-Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 5395 Series 4 Sub-Series 34
Scope and Contents Contains photographs, newspaper clippings, press releases, and lists regarding the Media Production Studio and the LDS Motion Picture studio owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1972 to 1994. Materials contain photographs of movies and productions produced by these studios.
Dates: 1959-1994