Skip to main content

Brigham Young University. Motion Picture Studio

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1953-1990

Administrative History

The Motion Picture Studio (1953-1990) was a support unit at Brigham Young University. It produced documentary, historical, and training films for use of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and in schools.

Within the Motion Picture Production was the Film Development Advisory Committee. That committee's functions were to review and select subjects for motion pictures, to review motion picture proposals to consider whether they should be approved for production, to review motion picture scripts and make recommendations for changes if necessary, to review marketing studies made on proposed motion pictures, to review budgets for proposed motion pictures, and to evaluate the overall marketing and advertising programs for educational motion pictures.

Originally the Motion Picture Studio reported directly to the president of the university. In 1959, the director of the Motion Picture Studio began reporting to the director of Auxiliary Services. In 1960, Auxiliary Services became the Vice-President of Auxiliary Services. The director of the Motion Picture Studio reported to this Vice-President until 1965 when the Division of Communications was created. Thereafter the director reported to the director of Communication Services, the Instructional Services Division, and the Division of Instructional Production Services.

In 1991 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints moved the studio from Brigham Young University supervision to the Church. Directors of the Motion Picture Studio included Wetzel O. Whitaker (1953-1974), Jesse E. Stay (1974-1983), and Peter N. Johnson (1983-1990).

Citation

The Miracle of birth [VR] c1987: credit frame (Brigham Young University, Motion Picture Studio)

Phone call to the Studio, 5/7/97 (management of the Studio transferred to the LDS Church in 1990; official name changed to LDS Motion Picture Studio)

Ensign, Nov. 1987: p. 101 (BYU Motion Picture Studio)

BYU Organizational History Project, via WWW, Apr. 15, 2013 (BYU Motion Picture Production; BYU Motion Picture Studio; est. 1953; produced documentary, historical and training films for the LDS church and schools; included a Film Development Advisory committee, responsible for review and selection of subjects for films, approved productions, reviewed scripts and made recommendations for changes, reviewed marketing studies and budgets and evaluated marketing and advertising; studio originally reported to the university president; 1959, reported to the Auxiliary Services; reported to vice president until 1965 when the Division of Communications was created; then reported to director of Communication Services/Instructional Services Division/Division of Instructional Production Services; in 1991 the LDS church took over the studio; directors of the studio included Wetzel O. Whitaker (1953-1974), Jesse E. Stay (1974-1983), and Peter N. Johnson (1983-1991))

Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:

David Kent Jacobs film collection reference materials, 1964-1983

 Series
Identifier: UA 5625 Series 1
Scope and Contents Contains materials related to the production, shooting, editing, and release of motion pictures produced by Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department and had the involvement of Jacobs. Materials include scripts, storyboards, shooting schedules, and crew lists. Financial records for some films are also included, detailing pay for actors, sets, costumes, and equipment. For several of the films programs and audience reaction and comments at the premiere of the film are included. Dated...
Dates: 1964-1983

David Kent Jacobs materials on Uncle Ben , 1977-1978

 Sub-Series — Carton: 61, Folder: 1-4
Identifier: UA 5625 Series 1 Sub-Series 2
Scope and Contents Contains copies of the script, which was rewritten several times, including a version by Orson Scott Card. A list of cast and extras is also included, as well as a program for the premier at American Fork High School is included. Film was released in 1978, and was produced by Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department. Copies of the various script revisions are included. The majority of the extras were from Brigham Young University. Dated 1977-1978.
Dates: 1977-1978