Skip to main content

Brigham Young University. Motion Picture Studio

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1953-1990

Administrative History

The Motion Picture Studio (1953-1990) was a support unit at Brigham Young University. It produced documentary, historical, and training films for use of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and in schools.

Within the Motion Picture Production was the Film Development Advisory Committee. That committee's functions were to review and select subjects for motion pictures, to review motion picture proposals to consider whether they should be approved for production, to review motion picture scripts and make recommendations for changes if necessary, to review marketing studies made on proposed motion pictures, to review budgets for proposed motion pictures, and to evaluate the overall marketing and advertising programs for educational motion pictures.

Originally the Motion Picture Studio reported directly to the president of the university. In 1959, the director of the Motion Picture Studio began reporting to the director of Auxiliary Services. In 1960, Auxiliary Services became the Vice-President of Auxiliary Services. The director of the Motion Picture Studio reported to this Vice-President until 1965 when the Division of Communications was created. Thereafter the director reported to the director of Communication Services, the Instructional Services Division, and the Division of Instructional Production Services.

In 1991 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints moved the studio from Brigham Young University supervision to the Church. Directors of the Motion Picture Studio included Wetzel O. Whitaker (1953-1974), Jesse E. Stay (1974-1983), and Peter N. Johnson (1983-1990).

Citation

The Miracle of birth [VR] c1987: credit frame (Brigham Young University, Motion Picture Studio)

Phone call to the Studio, 5/7/97 (management of the Studio transferred to the LDS Church in 1990; official name changed to LDS Motion Picture Studio)

Ensign, Nov. 1987: p. 101 (BYU Motion Picture Studio)

BYU Organizational History Project, via WWW, Apr. 15, 2013 (BYU Motion Picture Production; BYU Motion Picture Studio; est. 1953; produced documentary, historical and training films for the LDS church and schools; included a Film Development Advisory committee, responsible for review and selection of subjects for films, approved productions, reviewed scripts and made recommendations for changes, reviewed marketing studies and budgets and evaluated marketing and advertising; studio originally reported to the university president; 1959, reported to the Auxiliary Services; reported to vice president until 1965 when the Division of Communications was created; then reported to director of Communication Services/Instructional Services Division/Division of Instructional Production Services; in 1991 the LDS church took over the studio; directors of the studio included Wetzel O. Whitaker (1953-1974), Jesse E. Stay (1974-1983), and Peter N. Johnson (1983-1991))

Found in 17 Collections and/or Records:

Alamo : The Price of Freedom, a music master tape

 Item — Box: 1
Identifier: UA 887
Scope and Contents Contains background music of the movie produced by Kieth Merrill.
Dates: 1987

"How Rare a Possession" : a behind-the-scene look at the conversion of Vincenzo di Francesca and the LDS movie

 Collection — Folder: 1
Identifier: UA 1163
Scope and Contents Material related to the Motion Picture Studio Production of "How Rare a Possession: The Book of Mormon." Contains a script and correspondence about the production.
Dates: 1987

David Kent Jacobs collection on Mormon films

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 5625
Scope and Contents Contains materials related to Jacobs' work for the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Studio. The Brigham Young University Motion Picture Studio produced many of the early motion pictures for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Many original cuts of films like The First Vision and Uncle Ben are on 16 mm film reels are included. Other film projects including the Performing Arts tour Curtain Time, U.S.A. and their original cuts are also included. DVD copies of some of the film...
Dates: 1955-1988

A more perfect union : America becomes a nation

 Item — Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS 6837
Abstract Brigham Young University Motion Picture Studio's script for "A More Perfect Union: America Becomes A Nation", dated 1988.
Dates: 1988

Motion Picture Studio audio-visual materials

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 940
Scope and Contents Contains audio-visual materials produced by the Motion Picture Studio. Includes materials concerning recruiting, library research, academic colleges and departments, business, KBYU and the press, Brigham Young University administration, history, and social and student life. The collection also includes master tapes, production records, song directories and use-copy DVDs for the collection, from 1971 to 1999.
Dates: 1960-1999

Motion Picture Studio collection

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 8651
Scope and Contents Contains 91 film and audio reels produced by the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Studio. These reels include footage and/or recordings from Geneva Steel from 1955-72 and various church productions and events. Dated after 1953.
Dates: after 1953

Motion Picture Studio collection for Portrait of a Prophet

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: UA 5414
Overview Photographs of movie productions from the Motion Picture Studio. The photographs were taken by President David O. McKay.
Dates: approximately 1873-1967

Motion Picture Studio collection of historic university footage

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 5637
Scope and Contents Contains historic footage of Brigham Young University covering a wide range of themes and events. Mingled with the footage of Brigham Young University are various other footage samples related to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Utah. Dates range from 1946 to 1976.
Dates: 1946-1976

Motion Picture Studio flip chart

 Collection — Folder: 1
Identifier: UA 850
Scope and Contents Flip chart describes the facilities of the Motion Picture Studio, its productions and their distribution.
Dates: 1957

Motion Picture Studio footage of Brigham Young University

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1287
Scope and Contents Materials include 26 reels of film footage of the Brigham Young University campus. Digital copies of the film are also included in the form of 26 DVDs. Footage dates from 1949 to 1981 and is silent.
Dates: 1949-1981