Harold B. Lee Library. Catalog Department
The Catalog Department (1973-2007) was a technical services processing unit in the Harold B. Lee Library.
The Catalog, or Cataloging, Department was retained from the organization of the Clark Library in its reorganization in 1973. The department was responsible for cataloging library resources for patron use, and was involved in both original and copy cataloging. The unit was part of the Technical Services Division from 1980 to 2002, and of Collection Development and Technical Services Division from 2002 to 2007. Department chairs were Gloria Jenson (1973-1993) and Carla Kupitz (1993-2007). In 2007 the department was split into three units, including the Cataloging Services Department, the Special Collections and Metadata Catalog Department, and the Catalog Systems and Database Unit.
Citation:BYU Organizational History Project, via WWW, Dec. 4, 2013 (Catalog Department; Cataloging Department; est. 1973; responsible for cataloging library resources for patron access, including both copy cataloging and original cataloging; previously organized under the Clark Library; split into three units in 2007, including the Cataloging Services Dept., the Special Collections and Metadata Catalog Dept., and the Catalog Systems and Database Unit; chairs: Gloria Jenson (1973-1993), and Carla Kupitz (1993-2007); part of the Technical Services Division from 1980-2002, and of Collection Development and Technical Services from 2002-2007)
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Collection of audio and video recordings from the department, and part of the Mormon Media Collection. Contains compact discs, audio cassettes, video cassettes, and one phonograph of various discourses, including those by Truman G. Madsen. Also includes library stamp cards, and receipts from Brigham Young University library and Salt Lake City Temple. Dated 1895 to 1990.
Collection contains photographs of the Harold B. Lee Library Cataloging Department. Photographs date from 1993.