Skip to main content

Brigham Young University. Auxiliary Services

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1954-1969

Administrative History

Auxiliary Services (1954-1969) functioned to administrate over a variety of services provided by the university.

Auxiliary Services was created in 1954 in order to officiate over a large group of previously unincorporated university services including Farm Operations, Creamery, Laundry, Food Buying, Food Service, Photo Studio, Student Housing, University Press, Purchasing, Campus Planning, and Motion Picture Production. The organization existed until 1969 when the services were dispersed under the direction of various vice-presidents and assistant vice-presidents. Directors included: Ben E. Lewis (1954-1966) and Fred Schwendiman (1966-1969).

Citation

BYU organizational history project, Feb. 8, 2012: Brigham Young University. Auxiliary Services (1954-1969, unincorporated university services, Farm Operations, Creamery, Laundry, Food Buying, Food Service, Photo Studio, Student Housing, University Press, Purchasing, Campus Planning, Motion Picture Production, dispersed services under vice-presidents and assistant vice-presidents, directors Ben E. Lewis 1954-1966 and Fred Schwendiman 1966-1969)

Found in 25 Collections and/or Records:

Student Auxiliary Services general slides, approximately 1970-1986

 Series — Carton: 2, Folder: 12-15
Identifier: UA 5595 Series 7
Scope and Contents Contains slides relating to the general functioning of Student Auxiliary Services including slides of the performing arts and various student activities. Also includes slides of faculty and employees as well as slides of campus buildings and aerial shots of Utah Valley and Provo, circa 1970-1986.
Dates: approximately 1970-1986

Student Auxiliary Services photographs and negatives

 Collection
Identifier: UA 5595
Scope and Contents Contains slides, photographs, and negatives of the Student Auxiliary Services and its earlier derivatives. Slides and photographs are of food services, the Brigham Young University campus, the Missionary Training Center, training materials, landscapes, as well as various general slides and photographs relating to the activities of the organization, approximately 1957-1999.
Dates: approximately 1957-1999

Student Auxiliary Services slides of Food Services, 1970-1986

 Series
Identifier: UA 5595 Series 1
Scope and Contents Contains slides of photographs taken of various subsets of BYU Food Services, including catering, the Morris Center, the Cannon Center, the Cougareat, the Skyroom, concessions, Provo Temple dining, vending, the Dairy Laboratory, and employees. Slides cover topics including food preparation, food displays, and employee training, 1970-1986.
Dates: 1970-1986

Student Auxiliary Services slides of the Missionary Training Center, 1976-1998

 Series — Carton: 2, Folder: 8
Identifier: UA 5595 Series 4
Scope and Contents Contains slides of the Missionary Training Center (MTC), including the cafeteria and its employees. Also includes slides of missionaries in the cafeteria and classes. Includes slides of the 1976 MTC groundbreaking and reception afterward, 1976-1998.
Dates: 1976-1998

Student Auxiliary Services slides of the Morris Center and Cannon Center cafeterias, 1974-1986

 Sub-Series — Carton: 1, Folder: 6-8
Identifier: UA 5595 Series 1 Sub-Series 2
Scope and Contents Contains slides of the Morris and Cannon Center cafeterias, including photographs taken of food preparation and displays. Also includes slides of employees and patrons in the cafeterias, as well as slides of the facilities, 1974-1986.
Dates: 1974-1986