Brigham Young University. Dairy Products Laboratory (Provo, Utah)
- Existence: 1964 - 2009
The Dairy Products Laboratory (1964-2009) was a student-operated food processing facility at Brigham Young University. The building also served as a retail outlet for the university's Creamery. Prior to this time, dairy production was operated in other facilities by the Department of Animal Science and Auxiliary Services. In 2009, the laboratory building reopened as the Culinary Support Center.
Citation:BYU Magazine, spring 2016 (Dairy Products Laboratory Building, known as the Creamery; opened in 1964; facility renovated and expanded, reopening as Culinary Support Center in 2009)
Brigham Young University catalog, 1962: p. 58 (university operates a creamery; sells milk, ice cream, and other dairy products)
Brigham Young University catalog, 1964: p. 53 (dairy products laboratory in planning stages) p. 137-139 (Animal Science Department courses in Dairy Science Laboratory and Dairy Plant Management and Operation)
Daily universe, Apr. 3, 1963: p. 2 (Food Service Administration operates the Dairy Products Lab)
Brigham Young University, 1975: p. 600 (creamery operated by departments of Agronomy and Animal Husbandry at off-campus dairy farm from 1946-1951) p. 601 (creamery operation moved to 2230 North Canyon Road; 1954, creamery operations transferred to Auxiliary Services) p. 607 (Dairy Products Laboratory; Creamery; moved to utiliarian building near Deseret Towers in 1964)
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Brigham Young University photographs of the Dairy Products Laboratory Building, date of production not identified
Contains slides of employee to patron interaction at the Dairy Laboratory, including photographs at the cash register and in the back rooms, 1973.
Contains program requirements, memoranda, reports, budgets, and contracts between the parties responsible for the construction of the Dairy Products Lab, including Lorenzo S. Young and Partners and Tolboe Construction Company, 1950-1973.