Brigham Young University. Department of Buildings and Grounds
The Department of Buildings and Grounds (1947-1954) coordinated the maintenance of Brigham Young University campus buildings and grounds.
The Department of Buildings and Grounds was established in 1947 under superintendent Leland M. Perry and became the Physical Plant Department in 1954. Various supervisors reported to the superintendence who reported to a vice president of the University.
The department was responsible for the following: installations, alterations, and maintenance of the campus communications systems, such as telephones, fire alarms, and the distribution of campus mail; custodial work in all campus buildings; landscaping, care, and maintenance of all grounds, vacant lots, and other property owned by the University, including parking and campus police; maintenance, operation, alterations, and repair of all plumbing, heating, ventilating, and electrical systems on University property; mechanical shops operated by the University; carpenter shop and mill operated by the University (this did not include academic shops); maintenance, repair, alterations, and up-keep of all University-owned buildings; all new construction on University-owned property; a central warehouse and receiving department for the University; engineering, design, and survey or inspection work pertaining to maintenance of new construction; perpetual inventory of all furniture and equipment of the University; custody, maintenance, and repair of all automotive and other mechanical equipment of the University; central key register and control for the entire University; management and operation of Wymount Village.
In 1954 the Department of Buildings and Grounds was renamed the Physical Plant Department.
Citation:BYU Organizational History Project, Nov. 9, 2011: Dept. of Buildings and Grounds (1947-1954; buildings and grounds maintenance; Leland M. Perry superintendent; Physical Plant Dept. in 1954; campus communiations systems, telephones, fire alarms, mail, custodial work, landscaping, property maintenance, construction, engineering, inventory, automative equipment, key register and control, wymount village)
Found in 11 Collections and/or Records:
Physical Plant Department records on the Ernest L. Wilkinson Student Center, 1952-1979
Contains program requirements, a committee report on the commons building, Brigham Young University photo studio services and prices, and remodeling records, 1952-1979.
- Archival Object 9
- Collection 2
- Facility management -- Utah -- Provo 8
- College buildings -- Utah -- Provo 7
- Memorandums 6
- Contracts 5
- Colleges and Universities 4
- Education 4
- Letters 4
- Reports 3
- Blueprints 2
- Budgets 2
- Campus planning -- Utah -- Provo 2
- Photographs 2
- Specifications 2
- Universities and colleges -- Utah -- Provo -- Safety measures 2
- Audiocassettes 1
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) 1
- Facility management 1
- Legal instruments 1
- Negatives 1
- Slides (Photography) 1
- Track and field athletes -- Utah -- Provo -- Photographs 1
- Universities and colleges -- Security measures 1 + ∧ less