Provo City School District
- Existence: 1890-
The Provo City School District (1890- ) is a school district based in Provo, Utah.
The Provo City School District was created in Provo, Utah, in 1890, through the merger of the five different school districts that were established between 1860-1861. It originally consisted of five schools: Central (Parker) School, East (Webster) School, West (Franklin) School, North (Page) School, and Far North (Mountain) School. Two years later, the first version of Timpanogos Elementary School was built and six years after Webster School was replaced by Maeser School- named after Brigham Young Academy Dean Karl G. Maeser. In the 1930s, the district added a vocational school, Dixon High, and Farrer Junior High, while replacing the campuses of Timpanogos and Parker (which was soon renamed Joaquin). Soon, Grandview Elementary was built in the 1960s and the vocational school became the present-day campus of Utah Valley University.
The district currently consists of three high schools, two middle schools, thirteen elementary schools, and six specialized schools throughout the Provo, Utah area. It is ran by a 13-person administration led by Superintendent Kieth C. Rittel.
Citation:Wikipedia, Feb. 3, 2016 (Provo School District)
Provo City Library via WWW, Feb. 3, 2016 (Historical Provo Timeline)
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Two entries from the Provo School District Young Authors contest. Dates range from 1987-1988.