Skip to main content

Provo Utah Temple

 Organization

Administrative History

The Provo Utah Temple (1972-) is a temple operated by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

The Provo Utah Temple was announced on August 14, 1967, and its groundbreaking was held on September 15, 1969. It was dedicated on February 9, 1972 in the largest temple dedication in the church's history. Seventy thousand people attended through broadcasts held across Brigham Young University campus.

The temple was the sixth temple in Utah and the first in Utah County. Today it is one of the church's busiest temples.

Citation

LDS Church Temples, via WWW, Oct. 15, 2014 (Provo Utah LDS; Announced 14 August 1967; groundbreaking 15 September 1969; dedicated 9 February 1972; 70,000 attended through satellite services across Brigham Young University campus; largest temple dedication in the church's history to that point; sixth temple in Utah; first temple in Utah County; one of the church's busiest temples)

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Dedicatory prayer of the Provo Temple

 Collection — Folder: 1
Identifier: UA SC 15

Emil B. Fetzer architectural rendering of the Provo Temple

 Item — oversize-folder: 1
Identifier: MSS 7802
Scope and Contents Architectural rendering of the Provo Temple by Emil B. Fetzer. The rendering has been affixed to a cardboard sheet and is in color. The item is undated.
Dates: Date not identified

Predictions made by President Brigham Young

 Collection — Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS 231
Scope and Contents Typewritten and notarized affidavits. The materials purport that the second president of the Mormon Church, Brigham Young (1801-1877), visited Provo, Utah, on numerous occasions and predicted that there would be a Mormon temple built on a bench of land northeast of the town. He also predicted that a railroad line would go west from Ogden, Utah, across the Great Salt Lake. These items are stories handed down by word of mouth through family members in Provo, Utah.
Dates: 1943-1952