George H. Brimhall Building (Provo, Utah)
The George H. Brimhall Building (1918- ) is a building on Brigham Young University's campus.
The George H. Brimhall Building was constructed in 1918 and has housed a variety of university departments. It was initially used by the Student Army Training Corps, then it housed the Department of Mechanical Arts. At one point, it even served as the garage for the university president's car. By 1933, the building housed journalism and English courses. It went through a series of renovations, as two stories were added in 1935 and the entire building was renovated in 1984. It was then claimed by the Department of Visual Arts. In 2005, the Department of Communications moved into the building, in order to consolidate its various labs and classrooms. It was rededicated in August 2005 by John H. Groberg.
Citation:College of Fine Arts and Communications History, Aug. 8, 2014 (George H. Brimhall Building; constructed 1918; used by Student Army Training Corps; housed Department of Mechanical Arts; garage for president's car; held journalism and English courses in 1933; two stories added in 1935; renovated in 1984; claimed by Department of Visual Arts; Department of Communications moved in 2005; re-dedicated August 2005 by John H. Groberg)
Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
Contains photographs of the deans, faculty, classes, facilities, and groups of the College of Biology and Agriculture as well as its predecessors, the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences and the College of Applied Sciences. Dated approximately 1885-2005.
Includes original copy of the Founders Day address by Heber J. Grant at the dedication of the George H. Brimhall building.
Collection includes 8 blueprints of the addition to the George H. Brimhall Building created by Nelson in 1935.
Contains records for the second floor plan of the Brimhall Building and date files from 1953-1973.
Collection consists of two reminiscences. The first discusses the Block Y and various activities associated with it. The second discusses the Brigham Young University in the 1930s and describes the different buildings on campus as well as student life. It also includes a discussion of the first cougar mascots.