John B. Fairbanks papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of memorabilia, letters, essays, and biographies of Fairbanks. Three of the letters are from Joseph F. Smith, an apostle and later president, of the Mormon Church. The essays include "The History of Art" and "A Short Sketch of the Life of the Artist John Hafen" by Fairbanks.
Two biographies of Fairbanks are in the collection. One is handwritten, 80 pages in length, and is entitled "Interesting Incidents from the Life of J. B. Fairbanks by his Wife Florence Gifford Fairbanks." The other biography is anonymous and untitled but was done by one or more Fairbanks family members. It is 122 typed pages in length and was completed in 1936.
- Fairbanks, Florence G. (Florence Gifford), 1892-1952 (Person)
- Fairbanks, John B. (John Boylston), 1855-1940 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John B. Fairbanks papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Fairbanks was a prominent Utah artist and sculptor.
2 folders (0.16 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Donated by Mrs. J. Austin Cope in 1976.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Mrs. J. Austin Cope; 1976.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Photographs and glass plate negatives are located in the repository under catalog numbers MSS P9 and A84-213.
- Apostles (Latter Day Saint churches) -- Correspondence
- Art -- History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Presidents--Correspondence
- Fairbanks, John B. (John Boylston), 1855-1940
- Hafen, John G., 1838-1928
- Latter Day Saints -- Biography
- Material Types
- Smith, Joseph F. (Joseph Fielding), 1838-1918
- Register of John B. Fairbanks papers
- Benjamin Sipes
- 2010 July 20
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.