From the halls of memory
Scope and Contents
Photocopy of typescript. Author discusses his family's British roots; their acceptance of Mormonism while living in Birmingham, England, and their immigration to the United States. Tolton also describes his experiences during the Black Hawk War (Utah) and frontier life in Utah. His account goes into great detail about his involvement in territorial and state politics, his business ventures, family life, and his mission to Great Britain for the Mormon Church.
- Tolton, John F. (John Franklin), 1861-1950 (Person)
- Tanner, George S. (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from From the halls of memory must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Utah school teacher and businessman. Mormon missionary to Great Britain (1884-1885) and stake president of the Beaver Stake (1908-1916). Unsuccessful Democratic candidate for governor (1912). Member of the Utah Territorial Legislature (1894-1896) and Utah State Legislature (1905-1907, 1917-1927), and Deputy U.S. Marshall (1894-1895).
1 item (50 leaves)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
- Beaver (Utah) -- History
- Black Hawk War (Utah), 1865-1872
- Brigham Young Academy -- History
- Cedar City (Utah) -- History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Utah--History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Great Britain--History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--Great Britain--History
- Education -- Utah -- History -- Sources
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Utah -- Sources
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon missionaries -- Great Britain -- History
- Mormons -- Utah -- History
- Railroads -- Utah -- History
- Southern Utah State College -- History
- Spanish-American War, 1898 -- Utah -- War work -- Sources
- Tolton family
- Tolton, John F. (John Franklin), 1861-1950
- Utah -- History -- 19th century
- Utah -- History -- 20th century
- Utah -- Politics and government -- 19th century
- Utah -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Women -- Suffrage -- Utah -- History
- World War, 1914-1918 -- War work -- Utah
- Register of From the halls of memory
- In Progress
- Elisa Visick
- 2010 July 19
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States