William Henry Solomon's diary of the Arizona mission
Scope and Contents
Photocopy of typescript. Discusses in detail the daily life of Mormon missionaries among the Indians on the Arizona frontier and the problems with the Indians that eventually forced the missionaries to withdraw to Kanab, Utah, in 1874. Some personal and family matters are also covered, including divorce from one of the author's plural wives. Excerpts from other records of Solomon's are included at the end of the record to cover gaps in the main diary. Notes by the compiler, P. T. Reilly, are also included.
- Solomon, William Henry, 1828-1913 (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from William Henry Solomon's diary of the Arizona mission must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Mormon polygamist, missionary to the Indians in northern Arizona.
1 item (75 leaves)
Collection maintained in original order.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Arizona -- History -- To 1912
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--Arizona
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Arizona -- Sources
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Utah -- Sources
- Hamblin, Jacob, 1819-1886
- Indians of North America
- Kanab (Utah) -- History
- Latter Day Saints
- Lee, John D. (John Doyle), 1812-1877
- Material Types
- Navajo Indians -- Missions -- History
- Polygamy -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History
- United orders (Latter Day Saint churches) -- Arizona -- History
- Register of William Henry Solomon's diary of the Arizona mission
- Morgan Crockett
- 2010 July 20
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.