Lorenzo Snow Lyman collection
Scope and Contents
Correspondence and certificates of Lorenzo S. Lyman and Lyman family papers. The correspondence deals with 19th and 20th century Utah politics; references to Brigham Young, Wilford Woodruff, Lorenzo Snow, the St. George Temple, and Utah mining and politics; Family History; family activities in various locations (San Bernardino, California and Fillmore and Parowan, Utah); and letters from Francis M. Lyman about being an apostle and travels (a visit to Egypt and Palestine in 1902). Certificates of Lorenzo S. Lyman's appointments as probate judge and election official in Iron County, Utah, are included.
- Lyman, Lorenzo Snow (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Microfilm copy is open without restriction (SCM 001 278). Access to original materials with permission from the supervisor of reference services.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Lorenzo Snow Lyman collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
1 microfilm reel
1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
Finding aid (prepared by LDS Church Historical Department) available in repository.
Other Finding Aids
Item-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSSSC2976.xml
The papers had been in possession of the donor's grandmother, Lucile Squires, daughter of Lorenzo Snow Lyman. After her death in 1979 the papers came into the possession of Lucile's son, Lyman E. Squires, who in turn gave them to James L. Barrett and his sister, Karen Czirban. They donated the originals to the LDS Church Historical Department in 1995. James L. Barrett donated the photocopies to Brigham Young University in 1999. The LDS Church Historical Department sent a microfilm copy of the collection to BYU with a cover letter dated 8 May 1996.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; James L. Barret; 1999.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Egypt -- Description and travel
- Family histories
- Feminists -- United States -- Correspondence
- Fillmore (Utah)
- Home and Family
- Iron County (Utah)
- Lyman family -- Correspondence
- Lyman, Francis M. (Francis Marion), 1840-1916 -- Correspondence
- Lyman, Lorenzo Snow -- Correspondence
- Mines and mineral resources -- Utah
- Palestine -- Description and travel
- Parowan (Utah)
- San Bernardino (Calif.)
- Snow, Lorenzo, 1814-1901
- Social Life and Customs
- St. George Temple (Saint George, Utah)
- Utah -- Politics and government -- 19th century
- Utah -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Woodruff, Wilford, 1807-1898
- Young, Brigham, 1801-1877
- Register of Lorenzo Snow Lyman collection
- Elisa Visick
- 2010 December 16
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.