Crossing the plains with ox teams in 1862
Scope and Contents
Typescript with handwritten corrections and photocopies of the item. Boquist writes of her journey from Mt. Sterling, Van Buren Co., Iowa to California in 1862. She travelled on the Oregon and California trails staying three days in Salt Lake City, Utah, "a beautiful little city." The local inhabitants came to buy what they had to sell at higher cost than the items were worth, and they were warned by a Mormon widow against the tyrannical rule of Brigham Young saying many "were kept there against their will." Boquist also writes about encounters with Ute Indians and other Indian groups.
- approximately 1900
- Boquist, Laura Brewster (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Crossing the plains with ox teams in 1862 must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
1 item (22 p.)(+ photocopy version)(0.07 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Donated by Jean Wunderlich in 1984.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Jean Wunderlich; 1984.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- California National Historic Trail
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Indians of North America -- History
- Mormons -- Utah -- Salt Lake City -- History
- Oregon National Historic Trail -- History
- Overland Journeys to the Western United States
- Overland journeys to the Pacific -- History
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- History
- Ute Indians -- History
- West (U.S.) -- History
- Young, Brigham, 1801-1877
- Regsiter of Crossing the plains with ox teams in 1862
- Benjamin Sipes
- 2010 October 1
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States