Bosley Crowther photographs and negatives
Scope and Contents
Collection includes 166 photographs and 57 nitrate negatives related to Bosley Crowther's career and personal life. Images were taken between the 1950s and 1970.
- approximately 1950-1979
- Crowther, Bosley (1905-1981) (creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Negatives. Condition restricted; permission to use items must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.
Conditions Governing Access
Photographs. Open for public research. Items kept in cold storage; access requires 24 hours advance notice.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biographical / Historical
Bosley Crowther, otherwise known as Francis Bosley Crowther Jr., was born in Lutherville, Baltimore, Maryland, on July 13, 1905, to parents Francis Bosley Crowther and Eliza Hay Leisenring. He attended schools in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and Washington, D.C. Later he attended Woodbury Forest School in Woodbury, Virginia. After high school Bosley was educated at Princeton University. After graduating from Princeton University, he moved to New York, and took up a job at the New York Times, where he worked as a film critic from 1940 until his retirement in 1967. Bosley was known as a renowned film critic and influenced television and media from the time he started at the New York Times. He was especially well known from the 1950's until the late 1960's and served as the president of the New York Film Critics. After receiving one of the first screen writer's guild awards, he retired in 1968. Bosley married his wife Florence H. Marks on January 20, 1933, and they had one child. He died March 7, 1981, in Mount Kisco, New York.
2 oversize folders (0.04 linear ft.)
10 folders (0.25 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Materials were donated to L. Tom Perry Special Collections by Florence Crowther in 1981.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Florence Crowther; 1981.
Photographs (Photograph Archives).
Processed; Jamie Wiser; July 2022. Updated finding aid for DACS compliance and accuracy. Rehoused photographs to archival folders for preservation.
- Register of Bosley Crowther photographs and negatives
- Under Revision
- Rose Frank
- 2011 Novmber 23
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Folder: 3 (Graphic Materials)
- oversize-folder: 11 (Graphic Materials)
- Folder: 2 (Graphic Materials)
- oversize-folder: 12 (Graphic Materials)
- Folder: 1 (Graphic Materials)
- Folder: 7 (Graphic Materials)
- Folder: 6 (Graphic Materials)
- Folder: 5 (Graphic Materials)
- Folder: 4 (Graphic Materials)
- Folder: 8 (Graphic Materials)
- Folder: 9 (Graphic Materials)
- Folder: 10 (Graphic Materials)