Margaret Peirce Whitesides Young letter
Scope and Contents
Single letter, both as a photocopied manuscript and as a typed transcription, written by Margaret Peirce, daughter of Robert Peirce and future wife of Brigham Young, detailing her time on the Mormon Trail including her time in Winter Quarters to her relatives in Pennsylvania. Letter was written in Salt Lake City, Utah on August 31, 1848.
- 1848 August 31
- Young, Margaret Peirce Whitesides, 1823-1907 (creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Margaret Peirce Whitesides Young letter must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
Margaret Peirce Whitesides Young (1823-1907) was born to Mormon pioneers Robert and Hannah Peirce in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was best known for being one of Brigham Young's wives in Salt Lake City and the mother of Brigham Morris Young.
Margaret Peirce Young was born on April 19, 1823 to Robert Peirce and Hannah Harvey Peirce in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1847, she with the rest of her family traveled in the Jedidiah M. Grant/Joseph B. Noble Company to the Salt Lake Valley. Around this time, both she and her sister Mary Harvey Peirce married Brigham Young (Margaret married in 1847) and soon gave birth to Brigham Morris Young on January 18, 1854. She remained in the Salt Lake Valley with her family until January 16, 1907 when she died.
1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Donated by James and Sheryl Mills, relatives of the Peirce family, on December 4, 2014.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; James and Sheryl Mills; December 2014.
Utah and Western American and LDS cultural, family, social, intellectual, and religious history (19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts collection development policy IV.a.i.1 and 4, November 2013)
Processed; Eric Wolford, student manuscript processor, and Cory Nimer, curator; 2016.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Frontier and pioneer life
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Mormon women -- Nebraska -- Winter Quarters -- History -- Sources
- Mormons -- Nebraska -- Winter Quarters -- Correspondence
- Mormons -- Nebraska -- Winter Quarters -- History
- Overland Journeys to the Western United States
- Peirce family
- Peirce, Robert, 1797-1884
- Register of Margaret Peirce Whitesides Young letter
- Eric Wolford
- 2016 May 9
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.