John Austin Abbott mission diaries
Scope and Contents
Contains five volumes of photocopied pages from the mission diaries of John Austin Abbott. Abbott served in the New Zealand Mission, and these diaries detail his daily occasions. He talks about his time with the Mormon Church, their lives, the weather, and baptism numbers. Dated 1899-1901.
- Abbott, John Austin, 1871-1954 (Creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the John Austin Abbott mission diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
John Austin Abbott (1871-1954) was a Mormon missionary, miner, and farmer.
John Austin Abbott was born on August 12, 1871 in Plymouth, Utah to Myron and Laura Allen Abbott. He worked in the mines of Nevada as a young adult. He married Chrissie Eveline Whitney on March 12, 1895 in the St. George, Utah Temple, and together they had nine children. A member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Abbott was called to serve a mission to New Zealand between 1898 and 1901. He later labored as a farmer in Idaho. He died in Las Vegas, Nevada on March 8, 1954.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Arranged in original order.
Donated by Mary Lou Shaw in 1997.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Mary Lou Shaw; 1997.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Abbott was a Mormon missionary to New Zealand, and his journals document his experiences there.
Processed; Kelsey Samuelsen, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2013.
- Abbott, John Austin, 1871-1954 -- Diaries
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--New Zealand
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- New Zealand
- Mormon missionaries -- New Zealand -- Diaries
- Mormons -- New Zealand
- Register of the John Austin Abbott mission diaries
- Kelsey Samuelsen, student manuscripts processor, and John M. Murphy, curator.
- 2013 April 4
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.