Lorraine Morton Ashton collection on Ermel J. Morton
Scope and Contents
Collection consists of papers relating to the dictionary Ermel J. Morton, a Mormon missionary who went to Tonga, created from English to Tongan and Tongan to English, his accounts of his mission and translating the Book of Mormon, a history of his wife, a catalog of his materials from home, a typed copy of the talks at his funeral and a Tongan grammar book. There is also a book written about the time the family spent in Tonga.
- Ashton, Lorraine Morton (collector, Person)
Language of Materials
Materials in English and Tongan.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Lorraine Morton Ashton collection of papers relating to Ermel J. Morton must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Lorraine Morton Ashton (born 1944) is an American author.
Lorraine Morton Ashton was born December 23, 1944, to Ermel Joseph Morton and Lena Gertsch. She compiled nearly two thousand photographic images from missionaries and teachers in Tonga and published these images in a book entitled "Pictures of Tonga, 1936-1958." She also has compiled many materials about her father's life in Tonga and the time she spent there with him.
1 half box (0.25 linear ft.)
1 carton (1 linear ft.)
Materials left in original order.
Donated by Lorraine Morton Ashton in 1995 and 2011.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Lorraine Morton Ashton; 1995.
Donated; Lorraine Morton Ashton; 2011.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007.) Ermel J. Morton contributed to the translation of the Book of Mormon from English to Tongan.
Processed; Katie Connors, student processor, and John Murphy, curator; 2008.
Processed; Elizabeth Ballif, student processor, and John Murphy, curator; 2011.
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--Tonga
- Language and Languages
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Tonga
- Mormon missionaries -- Tonga
- Morton family
- Morton, Ermel J. (Ermel Joseph), 1914-1992
- Tongan language -- Dictionaries -- English
- Register of Lorraine Morton Ashton collection on Ermel J. Morton
- Katie Connors, student processor
- 2008 August 28
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.