Stanley S. Slotkin collection of book leaves
Scope and Contents
Materials include seventeen original leaves from antiquarian books of scripture (or other religious works) or academia, with accompanying facsimile title pages on folio-sized paper. The display sheets reproduce the title pages of the books from which the leaves were removed, and were intended to allow the book leaves to be mounted for display purposes. Also contains two facsimile leaves from Gutenberg and Luther bibles, and two news pages featuring the discoverer, Stanley Slotkin. Original materials date from between 1496 and 1874, with the accompanying materials from between 1964 and 1965.
- Slotkin, Stanley S. (collector, Person)
Language of Materials
Materials in English and German.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Stanley Slotkin collection of book leaves must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Stanley S. Slotkin (1905-1997) was a Southern California businessman.
Stanley S. Slotkin was born in 1905. He co-owned a chain of part supply and medical equpiment renalt stores called Abbey Rents with his brother, Milton. Slotkin was an amateur archaeologist and engaged in philanthropic activities, including donating antiquarian books and book leaves to churches, museums, and libraries. He died in 1997.
1 oversize folder (0.66 linear ft.)
Other Finding Aids
An item level inventory of this collection is available at the repository.
The original books from which the leaves were taken were collected and broken up by Stanley Slotkin in the 1960s. Slotkin produced display sheets and distributed the book leaves to institutions and collectors. The items in this collection were gathered together by John A. Taylor, who donated them to L. Tom Perry Special Collections in February 2008.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; John A. Taylor; February 2008.
Literary Manuscripts Archives.
Efforts to verify the accuracy of the identification of each book leaf led to the determination that some information was inaccurate or misleading. These discrepancies are noted in the finding aid.
Processed; Maggie Kopp; 2009.
- 13 book leaves and display sheets: A leaf (5P6) from the 1705 edition of Concordantiae Bibliorum Germanico-Hebraico-Græcæ [Folio leaf from a Latin missal] [Folio leaf from Talmud. Bava kamma] [Folio leaf from 1620 Y Bibl Cyssegr-lan sef yr Hen Destament a'r Newydd] [A leaf from the 1496 edition of Arnoldus, de Tongern, Epitomata, sive Reparationes logicae veteris et novae Aristotelis] [Leaf z2 from Ordo I of the chapter entitled De ordine in book four of Temesvári Pelbárt's Aureum sacrae theologiae rosarium] [Pages 71-72 from the 1632 edition of John Foxe's Continuation of the histories of forrein martyrs] [Pages 1103-1104 from the 1640 edition of Conrad Agricola's Concordantiae Bibliorum, das ist, Biblische Concordantz und Verzeichnuss der fürnembsten Wörter] [Original leaf dated 1690 A.D. ... found in Bombay] [Pages 431-432 from the 1719 edition of Nicolaas Simon van Leeuwaarden's De godsdienstige christen] [Leaf 183 from the New Testament section of Biblia mit der Ausslegung : Das ist : Die gantze Heilige Schrifft, Altes und Neues Testaments D. Martini Lutheri : Mit einer kurtzen, jedoch gründlichen Erklärung des Textes D. Lucae Osiandri, Senioris, Weiland hochverdienten Württembergischen Theologi ] [Volume 6, pages 113-116 (2 leaves) from The hexaglot Bible, comprising the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments in the original tongues]
- Slotkin, Stanley S. (collector, Person)
- Register of Stanley S. Slotkin collection of book leaves
- Abe Austin
- 2012 August 24
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States