A. O. Smoot papers
Scope and Contents
Photocopies of handwritten and printed certificates, letters of appointment, letters, an invitation, and a patriarchal blessing. The materials include a missionary recommendation dated 1851 when Smoot was called on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Britain; a patriarchal blessing from Joseph Smith, Sr., the father of the first president of the Church, Joseph Smith, Jr.; two appointments as an agent for the Perpetual Emigration Fund for the Church; a letter from Brigham Young, second president of the Church; and an invitation to a "Grand Military Ball."
- Smoot, A. O. (Abraham Owen), 1815-1895 (creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
LDS Church leader and pioneer.
11 items (15 pages)
Language of Materials
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions -- Great Britain -- History
- Invitation cards
- Latter Day Saint churches -- Presidents
- Latter Day Saint pioneers -- History
- Latter Day Saints -- Correspondence
- Missions and Missionaries
- Patriarchal blessings (Latter Day Saint churches) -- History
- Smith, Joseph, Sr., 1771-1840
- Young, Brigham, 1801-1877
- Register of A. O. Smoot papers
- Andrea Wyss
- 2011 March 24
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.