Herman Thorup journal
Scope and Contents
Typewritten transcript of Herman Thorup's journal for the period of 1879 to 1929; documents his mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Denmark, as well as his life in Salt Lake City, Utah; his arrest, trial, and imprisonment for "unlawful cohabitation"; his work as a florist and nurseryman; the impact of the Edmunds Tucker Act; Utah politics; his own political activities; his volunteer work; and his family and spiritual life.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Herman Thorup journal must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Herman Frederick Ferdinand Thorup was born April 19, 1849, in Copenhagen, Denmark. He immigrated to Utah in 1869 and married Sophia Gustava Johnson on May 28, 1872, in Salt Lake City, Utah. Sophia died October 3, 1878. From 1879-1881, Elder Thorup served an LDS mission to Denmark. Upon his return from Denmark, he married Annie C. Anderson on September 29, 1881. On December 21, 1882, he took a second wife when he married Jensine Jensen. Herman Thorup worked as a florist and nurseryman in Salt Lake City. Throughout his life, Herman Thorup took an active role in the ecclesiastical activities of his local LDS ward. He was President of the 138th Quorum of Seventies; was a "home missionary" for five years; and was also a "block teacher." In his retirement he worked as a volunteer in the "Bureau of Information" on the "temple block" (LDS Temple grounds) in Salt Lake City. He died September 10, 1929.
1 item (17 p.)
Language of Materials
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--Denmark--History
- Denmark -- History -- 19th century
- Evangelistic work -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History -- 19th century
- Material Types
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon families -- History
- Mormon missionaries -- Denmark -- Diaries
- Mormons -- Utah -- History -- 19th century
- Mormons -- Utah -- History -- 20th century -- Sources
- Polygamy -- United States -- History
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- History -- 19th century
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- History -- 20th century
- Temple Square (Salt Lake City, Utah) -- History
- Utah -- History -- 19th century
- Utah -- History -- 20th century
- Utah -- Politics and government -- 19th century
- Utah -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Register of Herman Thorup journal
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 April 8
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.