Skip to main content

Maeser Elementary School collection

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 2377

Scope and Contents note

Contains school/history books and scrapbooks, administrative files, student records, school artifacts, photographs, movies and movie equipment. Recounts history of the school with select artifacts from the school.

Dates

  • 1898-1996

Creator

Conditions Governing Access note

Privacy restricted until 2066; permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.

Conditions Governing Use note

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.

Permission to publish material from the Maeser Elementary School collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.

Biographical History

Maeser Elementary School, named in honor of Karl G. Maeser, was built in 1898. It operated for 103 years, until it was closed in June 2002 by the Provo School District.

Maeser Elementary School, located at 150 South 500 East, Provo, Utah, was built in 1898. The building was designed by architect Richard C. Watkins. The school formally opened on November 7, 1898, under the direction of Principal J.M. Jensen. The school was named in honor of Karl G. Maeser, a great proponent of education. Maeser Elementary functioned for 103 years and was Utah's oldest school in operation until it closed in June 2002, due to the deterioration of the building and high maintenance costs.

Extent

21 cartons (21 linear ft.)

8 oversize boxes (20 linear ft.)

1 box (0.5 linear ft.)

Language

English

Abstract

This collection comprises much of the history of Maeser Elementary School, from its foundation in 1898 up through about 1996, six years before it closed. Included in the collection are histories, newspaper clippings, photographs, artifacts from the school, movie reels, and some school files. Most of the histories were created by the Parent Teacher Associaiton (PTA) at Maeser Elementary. Documents local school history and the history of Provo, Utah.

Arrangement note

Arranged in five series: 1. Maeser Elementary School history books/scrapbooks, 1898-1996. 2. Maeser Elementary School files, 1906-1996. 3. Maeser Elementary School artifacts, undated. 4. Maeser Elementary School photographs/photographic equipment, 1898-1979. 5. Maeser Elementary School movies/movie equipment, 1947-1978.

Other Finding Aids note

A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.

Other Finding Aids

Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2377.xml

Custodial History note

Donated by the Provo School District, administrator Greg Hudnell, in June 2002.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Donated; Provo School District administrator Greg Hudnell; June 2002.

Appraisal note

Utah and American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).

Separated Materials note

Items in Box 21 were sent to Conservation and have been encased in foam.

Processing Information note

Processed; 2003.

Title
Register of the Maeser Elementary School collection
Status
Completed
Date
2003
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Sponsor
Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States