Abel Alexander Dewitt collection
Scope and Contents
Contains two holograph missionary journals (April 16-November 14, 1903 and November 15, 1903-April 21,1904) kept by DeWitt on his mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Oklahoma and nearby states. Also included are two holograph journals (July 29, 1897-November 30, 1900 and 1901-1906) and an autograph book (1900-1901) kept by his wife, Ruth Leila Kempe DeWitt. The collection also contains photocopies and transcriptions of the volumes.
Also contains a photocopy of a missionary journal kept by Ruth's father, Christopher Jensen Kempe, during his mission to Denmark (1899), and a published volume entitled Treasures in Heaven, a biography of Niels Eskildz, which mentions Kempe's role in his conversion to Mormonism. Also included are transcripts of Kempe's journal.
- DeWitt, Abel Alexander (Person)
Language of Materials
Some passages in Kempe's journal are in Norwegian, and English translations of those passages are included in the transcript.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Abel Alexander Dewitt collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services. and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Abel Alexander DeWitt, 1865-1953, was a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Oklahoma and nearby states from 1903-1904.
2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
1. Missionary journals of Abel Alexander DeWitt (original), April 1903-April 1904. 2. Journals and auotgraph book of Ruth Leila Kempe DeWitt (original), 1891-1906. 3. Christopher Jensen Kempe reminiscences and missionary journal (photocopy), 1899, and mansucript of 'Treasures in Heaven,' a life history of Niels P.L. Eskildz 4. Missionary journals of Abel Alexander DeWitt (photocopies), April 1903-April 1904. 5. Journals and auotgraph book of Ruth Leila Kempe DeWitt (photocopies), 1891-1906. 6. Missionary journals of Abel Alexander DeWitt (transcription), April 1903-April 1904. 7. Journals and auotgraph book of Ruth Leila Kempe DeWitt (transcription), 1891-1906. 8. Christopher Jensen Kempe reminiscences and missionary journal (transcription), 1899.
Other Finding Aids
A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.
The journals and photocopies were donated to Brigham Young University by Ruth Wake, the daughter of Abel Alexander DeWitt. Transcripts were prepared by L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Ruth Wake.
Prepared; L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Existence and Location of Copies
Collection contains photocopies and transcriptions of original journals, including translations where necessary.
- Brigham Young Academy -- Students--History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--Scandinavia
- DeWitt, Ruth Leila Kempe, 1880-1943
- Holbrook (Ariz.)
- Kempe, Christopher Jensen, 1837-1901
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon missionaries -- Norway
- Mormon missionaries -- Oklahoma
- Mormon women
- Mormon women -- Utah -- History
- DeWitt, Abel Alexander (Person)
- Register of the Abel Alexander Dewitt collection
- Susan Corrigan
- March 2001
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States