William Griffiths Reese diaries
Scope and Contents
Handwritten diaries with photocopies of the items. Reese writes about his work as a teacher and as a school administrator, his missions to Wales and Australia for the Mormon Church, his service as a local politician, and his assignments as a local Mormon leader. Reese also tells about personal and family matters and records partriarchal blessings and lists important dates in family history. Materials dated 1882-1979.
- Reese, William Griffiths, 1857-1938 (author, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from William Griffiths Reese diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
William Griffiths Reese (1857-1938) was from Wales who lived the majority of his life in Cache Valley, Utah. While he spent the majority of his life serving as a local politician and educator, he also served as a missionary both in the British Isles and Australia.
William Griffiths Reese was born the oldest child to Charles and Sarah Griffiths Reese in Pembrokeshire, Wales on August 15, 1857. After getting baptized by John Bloomfield, he eventually moved to Benson, Cache Valley, UT - where he would spend most of his life. While spending the majority of his life as both an education and a politician in his local community, he also served in two missions: the British Isles on 1882-1884 and the Australain mission on 1906-1909. After 81 years of life, he died in his home in Benson, UT on October 13, 1857.
4 boxes (2 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Donated by Dr. Robert Reese in November 2013. The materials donated in 1978 consisted of the original diaries as well as loose copies of the original diaries. Dr. Robert Reese, in 2013, donated bound copies of the original diaries. It was decided by John M. Murphy that we would dispose of the loose copies donated in 1978 and replace them with the bound copies donated in 2013.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Robert Reese; 2013.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.V, August 2007.)
Processing; Margaret Weddle, student manuscript processor; and John M. Murphy, curator; 2013.
Processing; Eric Wolford, student manuscript processor; and John M. Murphy, curator; 2016.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Educators -- Utah -- History
- Latter Day Saint churches -- Missions -- Australia -- History
- Latter Day Saint churches -- Missions -- Wales -- History
- Latter Day Saints -- Utah -- Logan -- History
- Logan (Utah) -- History
- Missions and Missionaries
- Patriarchal blessings (Latter Day Saint churches) -- History
- Politicians -- Utah -- History
- Reese, William Griffiths, 1857-1938 -- Diaries
- Welsh Americans -- Utah -- Diaries
- Register of William Griffiths Reese diaries
- Andrea Wyss
- 2011 April 29
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.