Joseph Leland Heywood diaries
Scope and Contents
Handwritten diaries for the years 1856 and 1857. In volume 1, Heywood traveled to California on government business. He left Salt Lake City for Washington, D.C. on 22 April 1866 and gives a short description of the overland journey to Atchison, Kansas. The remainder of the volume discusses political troubles in Washington, D.C. In volume 2, after resolving his affairs in Washington, D.C. and visiting family in Massachusetts, Heywood returned to Utah via St. Louis and Independence, Missouri. The diary describes his encounters with parties of Cheyenne and Shoshone Indians. Heywood also noted the murder of Almon W. Babbitt by Cheyenne Indians in 1856. The diary mentions meeting many other travelers on the overland route. The item ends near Devil's Gate in western Wyoming.
- Heywood, Joseph Leland, 1815-1910 (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Mormon pioneer who served as trustee for the property of the Mormon Church at Nauvoo, Illinois; postmaster for Salt Lake City; and U.S. Marshall for Utah. Heywood also helped to colonize southern Utah and the towns of Nephi and Panguitch.
2 v. (159 p.)(0.15 linear ft.) : (+ 2 typescripts)(volumes 1 and 2)
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Existence and Location of Copies
Transcription of volume 1 is in folder 2. Transcription of volume 2 is in folder 3.
- California -- History -- 19th century
- Douglas, Stephen A. (Stephen Arnold), 1813-1861
- Fillmore (Utah)
- Heywood, Joseph Leland, 1815-1910 -- Diaries
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Mormons -- Utah -- Salt Lake City
- Overland Journeys to the Western United States
- Overland journeys to the Pacific
- Peace officers -- Diaries -- Utah
- Salt Lake City (Utah)
- Smith, Joseph, Jr., 1805-1844
- Young, Brigham, 1801-1877
- Register of Joseph Leland Heywood diaries
- Benjamin Sipes
- 2011 April 25
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.