Eugene Thompson research collection
Scope and Contents
Contains the materials Thompson collected during his research on the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and evolution. Includes correspondence, newspaper excerpts, publications, and journal entries. Most of the collection consists of photocopies. These materials present a broad sampling of Mormon views and opinions concerning this topic. The majority of the collection deals with the views of Church leaders in the 20th century, including Joseph F. Smith, B. H. Roberts, James E. Talmage, David O. McKay, and Joseph Fielding Smith.
- Thompson, Eugene (creator, Person)
- Brigham Young University. Centennial History Project (contributor, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.
Permission to publish material from the Eugene Thompson research collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Eugene Thompson (1944-2018) was a Mormon professor and author in Idaho.
2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Materials were received without a discernable order, and were arranged by the archives in alphabetical order by author.
Other Finding Aids
A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1542.xml
The entire collection was formed by Thompson and was later donated by him in April 1975.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Eugene Thompson; April 1975.
LDS scholarship and historiography (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.III, 2007).
Processed; David J. Whittaker; March 1986 (Revision October 1997).
- Bible and evolution
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Evolution (Biology) -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Faith and reason -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- McKay, David O. (David Oman), 1873-1970
- Mormon Church -- Doctrines
- Religion and science
- Roberts, B. H. (Brigham Henry), 1857-1933
- Smith, Joseph F. (Joseph Fielding), 1838-1918
- Smith, Joseph Fielding, 1876-1972
- Talmage, James E. (James Edward), 1862-1933
- Register of the Eugene Thompson research collection
- David J. Whittaker and Chad Orton
- 1986 March
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States