Skip to main content

Maeser Elementary School artifacts, undated

 Series
Identifier: MSS 2377 Series 3

Scope and Contents note

School banners and pennants, cloth. Arithmetic tools; glass slides for lantern slide projector (box 29) [slides include scenes of children playing games, nature, and some historical sites]. UISSCO blue-black School Ink, Utah-Idaho School Supply Company, one quart bottle. [A foam encasing and box is being made for this item.] Four small, empty ink bottles; one contains a feather. Small, white soap dish. Empty bottle of red precipitate poison. [This is an oversize box.]

Dates

  • undated

Conditions Governing Access note

Privacy restricted until 2066; permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.

Conditions Governing Use note

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.

Permission to publish material from the Maeser Elementary School collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.

Biographical History

From the Collection:

Maeser Elementary School, named in honor of Karl G. Maeser, was built in 1898. It operated for 103 years, until it was closed in June 2002 by the Provo School District.

Maeser Elementary School, located at 150 South 500 East, Provo, Utah, was built in 1898. The building was designed by architect Richard C. Watkins. The school formally opened on November 7, 1898, under the direction of Principal J.M. Jensen. The school was named in honor of Karl G. Maeser, a great proponent of education. Maeser Elementary functioned for 103 years and was Utah's oldest school in operation until it closed in June 2002, due to the deterioration of the building and high maintenance costs.

Extent

4 boxes

Language

English