Skip to main content

Book C, 1855-1856

 Item — Box: 1, Folder: 3
Identifier: MSS 3905 Item 3

Scope and Contents

Bound record book that contains deeds of consecration to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They were recorded by Lucius N. Scovil, county recorder, and Dominicus Carter, probate judge. Dated December 20, 1855-December 26, 1856.


  • 1855-1856


Conditions Governing Access

Open for public research.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at

Biographical / Historical

Utah County was historically home to Native Americans. The first permanent white settlers in Utah Valley were members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, sent south from their original settlement in Salt Lake City by their leader Brigham Young in approximately 1849. On January 28, 1850, the territorial legislature, called General Assembly of the State of Deseret, declared that Utah Valley would be Utah County and they named Provo as its county seat. For the next two years, county record-keeping was inconsistent as there were no permanent officials instated. However, on February 7, 1852, Preston Thomas was appointed as probate judge and instituted order amongst the government's record keeping. Certain "selectmen" including a probate judge, clerk, recorder, sheriff, and treasurer, were also appointed. From 1857 to 1861 the Salt Lake City area was used as a base for military troops, which upset many of the Latter-day Saint settlers there and caused a movement of the population south into Utah County. Utah County has been the site of various development projects such as the Deer Creek Dam and Reservoir, which provides irrigation and water to nearby communities. In the early twentieth century the county was the main provider of steel for WWII, with Geneva Steel being one of the few main employers in the area. Major cities in Utah County include Orem, Provo, Draper, Payson, American Fork, Lehi, Pleasant Grove, Saratoga Springs, and Spanish Fork.

Biographical / Historical

Lucius Scovil was born on March 18, 1806, in Middlebury, New Haven, Connecticut to parents Joel Scovil and Lydia Manville. He married Lury Snow on June 18, 1828, and they had nine children together. In 1835, Snow and Scovil moved to Kirtland, Ohio, where they were both baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by the Prophet Joseph Smith on July 2, 1836. In October, Scovil was ordained an Elder and in November he was called on his first mission to Delaware County, Ohio. He came home because of rumors of mob violence, which would eventually drive him, his family, and other members of the Church to Missouri and Illinois. Scovil served a second mission in England and immigrated to the West with his family after his mission. In Utah, he became the Superintendent of Public Works for Provo and served as a probate judge for Utah County. Scovil married six other wives: Alice Greaves Hurst, Emma Whaley, Hannah Marie Marsden, Sarah Elizabeth (Libby) McArthur, Rebecca E (Celia) Brown, and Jane Fales.

Scovil died on February 14, 1889, in Springville, Utah.

Biographical / Historical

Dominicus Carter was born on June 21, 1806, in Scarborough, Maine, to parents John Carter and Hannah Knight Libby. He married Lydia Smith on May 11, 1828 and they had eight children together. Carter and Smith moved to Kirtland, Ohio, after being baptized in 183. Smith and their two-year-old daughter both died during the move from Ohio to Missouri in 1838. After this event but in the same year, Carter married Sophronia Babcock. He moved with Babcock to Illinois where he was ordained as a high priest by Isaac Morley in 1841. He later married six more wives: Sylvia Meacham, Mary Durfee, Caroline Hubbard, Elizabeth Brown, Polly Miner, and Frances Nash. Altogether he had approximately fifty-one children.

Carter mostly worked as a blacksmith throughout his life, but after traveling west and settling in Salt Lake Valley in June 1851, Carter opened and managed the Lion House, the first hotel in Provo. He also served on the Provo City Council and as a probate judge in 1852. In the early 1880s, Carter was apprehended by the federal government and imprisoned for practicing polygamy, which had recently been outlawed. He was released after a few months.

Carter died on February 2, 1884 in Provo, Utah.


1 volume (188 pages) ; 19 cm

Language of Materials