Skip to main content

Maeser Elementary School history books/scrapbooks, 1898-1996

 Series
Identifier: MSS 2377 Series 1

Scope and Contents note

Maeser School history books, approximately 1898-1996. Includes newspaper clippings, photographs, programs, certificates, and letters. [Includes 4 oversize boxes.] Also includes scrapbooks, approximately 1898-1980. Includes newspaper clippings, photographs, programs, certificates, letters, etc.

Dates

  • 1898-1996

Conditions Governing Access note

Privacy restricted until 2066; permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.

Conditions Governing Use note

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.

Permission to publish material from the Maeser Elementary School collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.

Biographical History

From the Collection:

Maeser Elementary School, named in honor of Karl G. Maeser, was built in 1898. It operated for 103 years, until it was closed in June 2002 by the Provo School District.

Maeser Elementary School, located at 150 South 500 East, Provo, Utah, was built in 1898. The building was designed by architect Richard C. Watkins. The school formally opened on November 7, 1898, under the direction of Principal J.M. Jensen. The school was named in honor of Karl G. Maeser, a great proponent of education. Maeser Elementary functioned for 103 years and was Utah's oldest school in operation until it closed in June 2002, due to the deterioration of the building and high maintenance costs.

Extent

13 boxes

Language

English