Skip to main content

Taylor family collection on Brickerhaven Corporation, 1920-2001

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 9349 Series 1

Scope and Contents

Contains multiple narrative histories on the Brickerhaven Corporation, as well as historical documents kept by the Taylor family related to the corporation, such as financial documents, correspondence, tax reports, and payment ledgers. Also contains emails, webpage printouts, budgets, and meeting notes from the town of Sundance, community meetings, and North Fork residents about zoning and incorporating the North Fork Community. Dated 1920 to 2001.

Dates

  • 1920-2001

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for public research.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at specialcollections@byu.edu.

Administrative History

Brickerhaven Corporation was first formed as the "Goldbrickers" club in 1917 at Brigham Young University in Utah. It was discontinued in 1923 and restored in 1928. In 1928, the club was renamed "The Nuggets," and later renamed again to "Goldbrickers" in 1934. All social units were banned from BYU in 1961, but the Goldbrickers club was quickly restored under the name of the "Samuel Hall Society."

The Brickerhaven Corporation was established in May of 1926 with the purchase by Lynn Dixon Taylor, William J. Snow Jr., and Victor R. Taylor from the North Fork Investment Co. of 25 acres of property behind Mount Timpanogos in order to build summer homes for Alumni and a lodge for unmarried school members of the club. The motivation behind the purchase was to continue the club's tradition of spending weekends in the canyon together. In 1928, the Brickerhaven Country Club, a non-profit organization, was created. Due to the Great Depression, the first cabin wasn't built until 1939. Slowly more were built, and the Brickerhaven Country Club became the Brickerhaven Corporation in 1950. This site later became surrounded by Sundance Resort. Lynn Dixon Taylor was a founding member, leader, and later president of Brickerhaven Corporation.

Biographical History

The Taylor family (1898-) began with Lynn Dixon Taylor (1898-1967), an interior design professor, entrepreneur, and real estate developer from Provo, Utah. Lynn Dixon Taylor was born May 6, 1898 in Provo, Utah to Arthur Nicholls Taylor and Maria Louise Dixon Taylor. He married Celestia Johnson on August 17, 1927. Lynn Taylor worked as a special instructor at BYU where he taught interior design for thirty years. As President of the Bonneville Development Corporation, he was a partner in the development of the Oak Hills subdivision in Provo and was President of the Brickerhaven Corporation. Taylor also designed and constructed several buildings on Provo's Center Street. Taylor and his wife had five children: John A. Taylor, George T. Taylor, Janice Taylor DeGraw, Lynne Ann Taylor Richards, and Kathryn Taylor Brockbank.

Extent

5 folders

1 box

Language of Materials

English