Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts records
Scope and Contents
Includes records and correspondence of Lael Woodbury and Morris Clinger.
- Brigham Young University. Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts (creator, Organization)
- Woodbury, Lael J. (Lael Jay), 1927-2013 (contributor, Person)
- Clinger, Morris M., 1910-1993 (contributor, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.
Permission to publish material from the Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
The Department began in 1921 as the the Department of Public Speaking and Dramatic Arts, and has been called many different names over the years. The name was changed to the Department of Threatre and Cinematic Arts in 1975 and then was changed to the Department of Theatre and Film in 1988.
The Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts has undergone several name changes during its existence. It began as the Department of Public Speaking and Dramatic Arts in 1921 and became the Department of Speech in 1930. In 1953 it was renamed the Department of Speech and Dramatic arts which was divided into the Department of Dramatic Arts and the Department of Speech in 1961. In 1968 the separate departments were combined to once again create the Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts. The department became the Department of Theater and Cinematic Arts in 1975 and the Department of Theatre and Film in 1988.
T. Earl Pardoe was named Chair of the Department of Public Speaking and Dramatic Arts in 1921 and remained chair of the Department of Speech until 1951. He was succeeded by Harold T. Hansen who was chair successively of the Speech, Speech and Dramatic Arts, and Dramatic Arts Departments until he retired in 1965. He was succeeded as chair of the Department of Dramatic Arts by Lael J. Woodbury who continued as chair of the recombined Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts until 1971 when he was succeeded by Parley W. Newman. Morris M. Clinger was chair of the Department of Speech from 1961 to 1968 when it was a separate department. Parley W. Newman was chair of the Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts until 1975 when he was succeeded by Charles L. Metten who was succeeded in 1980 by the current chair, Harold R. Oaks.
6 boxes (3 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Arranged in 3 series: 1. Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts correspondence, 1955-1969; 2. Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts minutes, 1955-1989; and 3. Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts general department files, 1955-1981.
Arranged alphabetically within series.
Other Finding Aids
A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA684.xml
Transferred from the Department of Theatre and Film.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Department of Theatre and Film.
Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
Processed; James J. Dooley; 1947-1989.
- Register of the Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts records
- James J. Dooley
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008