Student Auxiliary Services photographs and negatives
Scope and Contents
Contains slides, photographs, and negatives of the Student Auxiliary Services and its earlier derivatives. Slides and photographs are of food services, the Brigham Young University campus, the Missionary Training Center, training materials, landscapes, as well as various general slides and photographs relating to the activities of the organization, approximately 1957-1999.
- approximately 1957-1999
- Brigham Young University. Student Auxiliary Services (creator, Organization)
- Brigham Young University. General Services (creator, Organization)
- Brigham Young University. Auxiliary Services (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish from the Student Auxiliary Services photographs and negatives must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
Student Auxiliary Services (1986- ) administrates various services offered by Brigham Young University.
The Student Auxiliary Services (SAS) was established in 1986 as an administration body within Brigham Young University. In 1989 the Assistant Administrative Vice-President took over the chief administrative role, and the SAS assumed a wider variety of services and departments. In 1996, SAS was placed under Student Life and directed by the Assistant Student Life Vice-President. SAS currently acts as the central administrative body over a vast array of campus services and organizations including the bookstore, Dining Services, Discontinuance Office, Food Services, Handicapped Student Services, and Housing Services. The following have served as officials over SAS: Norman Roberts (Coordinator, 1986-1988), R. Michael Whitaker (Associate Director, 1988), Dean Fairbank (Assistant Administrative Vice-President, 1990-2001), David A. Hunt (2001- ).
Auxiliary Services (1954-1969) oversaw a variety of services provided by Brigham Young University.
Auxiliary Services was created in 1954 in order to officiate over a large group of previously unincorporated university services including Farm Operations, Creamery, Laundry, Food Buying, Food Service, Photo Studio, Student Housing, University Press, Purchasing, Campus Planning, and Motion Picture Production. The organization existed until 1969 when the services were dispersed under the direction of various vice-presidents and assistant vice-presidents. Directors included: Ben E. Lewis (1954-1966) and Fred Schwendiman (1966-1969).
General Services (1972-1990) managed a variety of services offered by Brigham Young University.
General Services was formed in 1972 when the Auxiliary Special Services and the Department of Housing were combined into one unit. The Assistant Vice-President for Business acted through General Services in order to administrate Agricultural Operations, Auxiliary Maintenance, Auxiliary Special Services, the BYU Bookstore, Food Services, Purchasing, and to gave direction and assistance to the Director of Housing. General Services was also responsible for providing management and skills training programs, necessary safety programs, and to coordinate food and housing needs for summer conferences, as well as coordinating university services to the Language Training Mission (1972-1980). In addition, General Services worked with the director of Housing to provide adequate housing both on and off campus for students. Heads of the department included Rulon G. Craven (1972), Clyde Bair (1972-1987), and Delyle Barton (1987-1990). In 1990, the organization's functions were assumed by Student Auxiliary Services.
2 cartons (2 linear ft.)
3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
2 folders (0.1 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Arranged in eight series: 1. Student Auxiliary Services slides of Food Services, 1970-1986. 2. General Services subject slides, 1974-1982. 3. General Services slides of campus, 1970-1980. 4. Student Auxiliary Services slides of the Missionary Training Center, 1976-1998. 5. General Services training slides, approximately 1979. 6. General Services slides of landscapes, approximately 1970-1979. 7. Student Auxiliary Services general slides, approximately 1970-1980. 8. General Services photographs and negatives, approximately 1957-1999.
Donated by Marlin Sharpe in November 2011. Additional materials transferred from Student Auxilary Services in 2017.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Marlin Sharpe; Nov. 2011.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred; Student Auxilary Services; 2017.
Campus activities (University Archives Collection Development Policy 5.V.II.d, August 2015).
Processed; Dani Peterson; Feb. 2012.
Additional materials processed; Itza Mostert; April 2017.
- Register of Student Auxiliary Services photographs and negatives
- Dani Peterson
- 2012 February 1
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- 2017 April 13: New materials added to series 8 and notes updated; Itza Mostert.
- 2019 August 27: Photographs and negatives from the dark room numbered; Jace Packer.