English Department records
Scope and Contents
Contains information and materials concerning various faculty members of the Brigham Young University English Department. Records included in this collection regard the appointment of faculty. Included are resumes, writing samples, letters, correspondence, memos and newspaper clippings.
- Brigham Young University. English Department (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from English Department records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
The Brigham Young University English Department has been part of the Brigham Young University College of Humanities since 1965.
The Dept. of English includes classes of: rhetoric and composition, advanced composition, short story writing, news writing, advanced narration, teacher's course in grammar, Anglo-Saxon, philology, Chaucer, Shakespeare's tragedies, Shakespeare's comedies, Milton, love and the light, the history and development of the English novel, the Romantic poets, modern continental European drama, modern British drama, the English modern novel, the American modern novel, Tennyson's minor poems, Tennyson's major poems, and Browning.
The Dept. of English was a part of the Church Teachers College until the college was split in 1920. The department was placed under the direction of the School of Arts and Sciences. The department was transferred in 1921 when the School of Arts and Sciences to the renamed the College of Arts and Sciences. In 1954 the department was transferred to the newly established College of Humanities and Social Sciences, and later in 1965 to the College of Humanities. Department chairs included Alfred Osmond (1920-1923), Parley A. Christensen (1923-1954), Leonard W. Rice (1955-1958), Ralph A. Britsch (1958-1960), Bruce B. Clark (1960-1966), Dale H. West (1966-1973), Marshall R. Craig (1973-1975), Richard H. Cracroft (1975-1981), John B. Harris (1981-1986), William A. Wilson (1986-1992), Neal E. Lambert (1992-1996), C. Jay Fox (1996-1999), John S. Tanner (1999-2004), Edward A. Geary (2004-2006), Gregory D. Clark (2006-2007), and Edward S. Cutler (2007-).
2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
1 carton (1 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
These items were transferred to Special Collections in 2007. These items were transferred to Special Collections in 2010.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred; Records Management; 2007.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred; Records Management; 2010.
Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
- Register of English Department records
- Jennifer Kim
- 2011 August 23
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- 2013 January 14: Addendum of 1 carton to the collection; date ranges expanded, scope and content note revised, historical note revised and subjects added; Joseph Wiest.