Skip to main content

Physical Plant Department records on residence housing, 1947-1974

 Sub-Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1330 Series 3 Sub-Series 21

Scope and Contents

Contains records from Brigham Young University's housing halls, including the Zola Peterson House, Garn Phillips House, Rice House, Salmon House, Smithson House, Stein House, Swenson House, Thomas House, Vance House, Ward House, West Lewis House, Young House, Deseret Towers, V-Hall, Helaman Halls, Heritage Halls, Wymount, mobile home park, and Wyview. Records on Deseret Towers include contracts, concrete test results, payments, shop drawings, lien waivers, job instructions, subcontract bids, bidding, change orders, addendums, insurance records, masonry records, final inspections, mechanical records, and decorating and painting records. Records on V-Hall include contracts, construction schedules, keying schedules, and lien waivers. Records on Helaman Halls include contracts and addition records. Records on Heritage Halls include contracts, tunnel plans, and floor plans. Also included are Wymount Terrace, Wymount Village, and Wyview Mobile Home Park contracts, inspections, change orders, bidding, and specifications, 1947-1974.

Dates

  • 1947-1974

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Physical Plant Department records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The Physical Plant Department (1954- ) functions to coordinate the building and grounds maintenance of Brigham Young University.

The Physical Plant Department, previously the Department of Buildings and Grounds, was established in 1954. The Physical Plant functions under the Physical Facilities Division and is responsible for maintaining university utilities, overseeing engineering and construction, maintaining the grounds, maintaining the buildings (including custodial services), overseeing transportation services, and administering to campus projects. Directors of the department have included Leland M. Perry (1954-1957), Sam F. Brewster (1957-1974), Fred A. Schwendiman (1974), Harold J. Anderson (1979-1986), Douglas Christensen (1986-1990), and Scott Briggs (1990- ).

Extent

3 cartons

Language of Materials

English