David O. McKay School of Education physical facilities records, 1970-2000
Scope and Contents
Contains physical facilities records regarding the rededication of the David O. McKay Building and management of facilities associated with the college. Materials date from 1970-2000.
- David O. McKay School of Education (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 70 years from the end date of the administration, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the David O. McKay of Education Deans records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
The College of Education (1921-1997) oversaw various programs for future educators at Brigham Young University.
The College of Education, previously known as the School of Education, was created in 1921 from by the newly appointed President Harris. The organization was created to qualify students to be supervisors, elementary teachers, high school instructors, or high school principals under the Church and State school systems. The four main purposes were outlined as: (1) Preparing teachers for public and private schools. (2) Providing graduate programs for the preparation of school principals, counselors, school psychologists, curriculum supervisors, speech/language pathologists, clinical audiologists, and master teachers. (3) Offering research-based graduate programs. (4) Researching educational processes and issues. Deans and acting deans of the College included John C. Swenson (1921-1924), L. John Nuttall (1924-1930), Amos N. Merrell (1930-1946), Asahel D. Woodruff (1955-1961), A. John Clarke (1961-1962), Antone K. Romney (1962-1970), Stephen L. Alley (1970-1974), Curtis N. Van Alfen (1974-1985), Ralph B. Smith (1985-1989), Dan W. Andersen (1989-1993), and Robert S. Patterson (1993-1997).
The David O. McKay School of Education (1997-) oversees various programs at Brigham Young University for future educators.
The David O. McKay School of Education, formerly called the College of Education, was formed in 1997. The organization's four purposes are outlined as: 1. To prepare teachers for public and private Schools; 2. To provide graduate programs for the preparation of school principals, counselors, school psychologists, curriculum supervisors, speech-language pathologists, clinical audiologists, and master teachers; 3. To offer research-based graduate programs; 4. To research educational processes and issues. Robert S. Patterson (1996-2003), K. Richard Young (2003-2013), and Mary Anne Prater (2013- ).
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
A more detailed finding aid may be found in the repository.
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA700.xml
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections. University Archives Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo UT 84602 US