College of Nursing academic resources, 1979-1998
Scope and Contents
Contains academic resources, devotional records, papers, exams, self-assessments, class rolls, schedules, student handbooks, and case studies, 1979-1998.
- Brigham Young University. College of Nursing (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the College of Nursing records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
The School of Nursing (1952-1958) was a college at Brigham Young University.
The School of Nursing was established in 1952. Vivian Hansen worked as dean from 1952 until 1954 and was replaced by L. Bernice Chapman (1955-1958) who went on to serve as dean of the College of Nursing. The School of Nursing was renamed the College of Nursing in 1958.
The School of Nursing was originally organized due to the reorientation of national nursing education programs to collegiate environments. It was deemed necessary to have the church's nursing education centered at Brigham Young University.
The College of Nursing (1958-) is a college at Brigham Young University.
The School of Nursing was renamed the College of Nursing in 1958. The college existed under a humanistic approach to nursing, focusing on the intrinsic worth of the individual, his or her ability to function in an environment, to be interdependent, and to operate independently. The college first allowed students into the baccalaureate program with advanced standing beginning in the fall of 1966. The following individuals have served as deans of the college: L. Bernice Chapman (1959-1960), Beulah Ream Allen (1961-1965), Lennia Morrison (1966-1967), Elaine Murphy (1968-1971), Maxine J. Cope (1972-1980), Elaine D. Dyer (1980-1987), June Leifson (1987-1994), Sandra Rogers (1994-2000), Elaine S. Marshall (2000-2007), and Mary Williams (2007-).
In September of 1963, the associate degree in the College of Nursing was established, making it one of the few institutions in the country to offer an associate degree in conjunction with a four-year program. During the late 1960s, the college faculty made a change in the curriculum, requiring students to learn the separate role of nursing in correlation to the reaction of an individual to varied circumstances affecting him socially, emotionally, physically, mentally, and/or spiritually, which can be referred to as the nursing model. The previous method of study was known as the medical model, which had students study and practice nursing in relation to specific diseases.
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1207.xml
Other Finding Aids
Folder level finding aid available for the first ten boxes.