Skip to main content

Physical Plant Department records on special projects, 1954-1976

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1330 Series 5

Scope and Contents

Contains records relating to special projects carried out by the Physical Plant Department, including the HFAC sprinkling system, Aspen Grove, the baseball field, Y Bell Tower, statue of Brigham Young, Y Mountain, extension of utilities, photo studio, automative shop, and electrical shop, 1954-1976.


  • 1954-1976


Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Physical Plant Department records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The Physical Plant Department (1954- ) functions to coordinate the building and grounds maintenance of Brigham Young University.

The Physical Plant Department, previously the Department of Buildings and Grounds, was established in 1954. The Physical Plant functions under the Physical Facilities Division and is responsible for maintaining university utilities, overseeing engineering and construction, maintaining the grounds, maintaining the buildings (including custodial services), overseeing transportation services, and administering to campus projects. Directors of the department have included Leland M. Perry (1954-1957), Sam F. Brewster (1957-1974), Fred A. Schwendiman (1974), Harold J. Anderson (1979-1986), Douglas Christensen (1986-1990), and Scott Briggs (1990- ).


3 cartons

Language of Materials